Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Johnson for Ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    I worked in the fields but I'm not black. Can I play the blues? Eine kleine cottonfield musik, anyone?
    Great. That made me laugh out loud. At 4am.

If Webby hadn't set that up, we wouldn't get this wonderful punch line.

There is such a thing as a poser though, and I get Webby's frustration. I just don't know if I can quantify who that poser is? Maybe it's the self-absorbed, entitled, rich suburban white kid who only thinks they know what adversity is. But, what if said white kid has some serious chops playing the blues? What if the hands and ears get it even if the brain really doesn't? Still a poser then? Tough to say, but maybe we just know it when we see it.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    Tamales aren't always thought of as soul food, even if they're red hot.
    A personal favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8CumKjXno

cletus

"The blues isn't about feelin' better. It's about makin' other people feel worse and makin' a few bucks while you're at it." Bleeding Gums Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    "Can blue men sing the whites?" as Bonzo Dog famously sang
    I think they're all hypocrites!

Check out "The Search for Robert Johnson" on DVD. Interesting connections between the book under discussion and some of the people identified in the film. The history of the original recordings of blues and the music of the South is fascinating. There was a lot of cross over between musicians in these groups as there was in jazz during the same period. Listen to Fred McDowell singing Amazing Grace.
    Kamaka HF-3, Kanilea K-1 Deluxe Super Concert, Koaloha KTM-00, Pono MBD, Honolele Solid Mango Long Neck Soprano, Pono MC

Now I just have to learn how to play.

Eric Clapton played a smoking power trio version of Crossroads last night at 12-12-12, reminded me of the old Cream days.

This is the tune that turned me and a whole generation on to Robert Johnson.

Excerpt here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136950n
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

'nuff said (and Ry Cooder is white too)

I just bought mine and looking forward to getting it. I love the DVD of Clapton I have of the Sessions for RJ that Clapton did a couple of years ago. If you haven't seen that you should check it out. He also did some of RJs songs on his MTV unplugged set. Love Malted Milk. I do that one on guitar and it's a lot of fun.

Excellent Mark. The only Robert Johnson song I have mastered on the guitar is Walkin' Blues. I like the eric clapton version from the unplugged set. Before you accuse me is possibly one of if not my favorite song. I would love to play the RJ tunes on uke. Let me know what you think of the book.
    Ono Walnut/Sinker Redwood Baritone
    Covered Bridge Claro Walnut/Spruce Concert
    Covered Bridge Myrtle/Western Red Cedar Tenor
    Ken Timms Style 0
    1930 Supertone W. Lange Co. Banjolele
    Willie Wixon Custom Tenor #129

I'll let you know Justin. I got it on eBay for $15 shipped. That's actually cheaper then amazon after shipping. Amazon shipping was almost $7 and that's why I passed on getting it thru them. I really like Before you cause me too and it has pretty much same chord progression and you can use the same walk down and turn around as malted milk only it's faster. I have to change keys tho because before you accuse me is higher on the vocals.
    Quote Originally Posted by justinlcecil View Post
    Excellent Mark. The only Robert Johnson song I have mastered on the guitar is Walkin' Blues. I like the eric clapton version from the unplugged set. Before you accuse me is possibly one of if not my favorite song. I would love to play the RJ tunes on uke. Let me know what you think of the book.

Thread Information