Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New uke day - Martin S1

Default New uke day - Martin S1

I've wanted a soprano for a while, something with a different sound from my Islander and Kanilea concerts. After watching PeteyHoudini's review of five Martins, I felt that was the sort of jangly uke sound I wanted (that's his word for it, and spot on).

So I ordered a Martin S1 from Elderly Instruments, with some hesitation becuase of some of the negative comments about the S1 on this board.

Well, it arrived today, and I couldn't be happier. It's loud, punchy, jangly, and just sounds happy as heck. I've been learning the opening chords to Joe Brown's version of I'll See You in My Dreams, and this uke feels perfect for the song. I love how the bottom string sounds as if it's being plucked on each up-strum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TimboAZ; 12-15-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Congratulations! It's great when exactly what you wanted is exactly what you got!
    Kathryn

Congratulations! Enjoy that puppy.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I got one a few weeks ago, wouldn't trade it. Great ukulele sound. Congrats, cool looking also!

Congratulations! I bought one a week ago and really like it too. It really has its own identity. Yours seems to have a nice grain too. Mine came with a grey gig bag instead of the black one.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to name this uke The Flapper, because it's light and sweet but loud and sexy. I've been working on Ain't She Sweet for the past hour - perfect!

Looks beautiful, very much like my 1948 Martin 0. They did a nice job with this--finally! Enjoy the heck out of it!
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Looks good, enjoy!
    There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be... - John Lennon

Congrats! Classic uke!

Got mine about a week ago...and am very pleased. I'm a ukunewby and started off with an Eddy Finn tenor, and quickly realized I really wanted a soprano. Got a Kala KA-S (which I still like quite a bit for the $$$), but decided I wanted to eat a little higher on the hog and visited a local guitar shop where I saw the S1 and went back a couple weeks later to snag one for myself. I'm very pleased. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

N

Thread Information