New uke day - Martin S1

TimboAZ

Reaction score
I've wanted a soprano for a while, something with a different sound from my Islander and Kanilea concerts. After watching PeteyHoudini's review of five Martins, I felt that was the sort of jangly uke sound I wanted (that's his word for it, and spot on).

So I ordered a Martin S1 from Elderly Instruments, with some hesitation becuase of some of the negative comments about the S1 on this board.

Well, it arrived today, and I couldn't be happier. It's loud, punchy, jangly, and just sounds happy as heck. I've been learning the opening chords to Joe Brown's version of I'll See You in My Dreams, and this uke feels perfect for the song. I love how the bottom string sounds as if it's being plucked on each up-strum.

Attachments

• IMG_7677.jpg
    IMG_7677.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy that puppy.

John

Congratulations! I bought one a week ago and really like it too. It really has its own identity. Yours seems to have a nice grain too. Mine came with a grey gig bag instead of the black one.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to name this uke The Flapper, because it's light and sweet but loud and sexy. I've been working on Ain't She Sweet for the past hour - perfect!

Looks beautiful, very much like my 1948 Martin 0. They did a nice job with this--finally! :rolleyes: Enjoy the heck out of it!

Looks good, enjoy!

Got mine about a week ago...and am very pleased. I'm a ukunewby and started off with an Eddy Finn tenor, and quickly realized I really wanted a soprano. Got a Kala KA-S (which I still like quite a bit for the $$$), but decided I wanted to eat a little higher on the hog and visited a local guitar shop where I saw the S1 and went back a couple weeks later to snag one for myself. I'm very pleased. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

N :D

Top Bottom