Your very first chord chart - 6 chords to learn first

ukemunga

Reaction score
This is great. I'm putting together some info for 2 people that are getting ukes for Christmas and are beginners. Any other suggestions?

This is great. I'm putting together some info for 2 people that are getting ukes for Christmas and are beginners. Any other suggestions?

check the 'ukechordchart.com' link in ukemunga's signature. He's put together the nicest two-sided chord chart I've seen. You can print it yourself but the laminated copies he sells are reasonably priced and high quality. Might be a little overwhelming for a beginner, but there's an 'essential chords' section which is a slightly expanded version of the sheet posted in this thread.

Also check out Uncle Rod's bootcamp - a great approach to learning the basic chords and getting started on playing some tunes. You can find the link in his signature: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?13582-Uncle-Rod-Higuchi (Go to the 'about me' tab at this link)

Also the videos on Ukulele Underground's main site - especially the Uke Minutes series - seem pretty helpful.....

So many chord charts go way over the top in their completeness. When basic is what's needed, give them very basic.

We too often forget what it's like to be at the very start of something.

one of the Auntys that teach the FREE ukulele lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki is Aunty Wainani.

She regularly begins with these chords, in this order: C, C7, F, A7, D7, G7. Then, depending on the song she plans on teaching, she'll move on to F7, Dm, Bb.

NOTE: out of the 60 minutes of the FREE lesson, she usually spends 30+ minutes going over the chords, over, and over, and over again. Why? Because no one can really 'play' the ukulele without knowing and being able to smoothly change from chord to chord in rhythm with the flow of the melody of the song.

anyway, I recommend the above series of chords as another Basic Chords Chart, for your consideration. :)

keep uke'in',

PS if you're ever in Waikiki, from Tues through Friday, and are free between 10 and 11am, please go to the Royal Hawaiian Center Food Court and enjoy one of those FREE ukulele lessons. There are generally 24 loaner ukes available, so go early and sign up... or bring your own! (BYOU) :)

Aunty Wainani teaches on Tues and Thurs. Aunty Puakeala teaches on Wed and Friday.

one of the Auntys that teach the FREE ukulele lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki is Aunty Wainani.

She regularly begins with these chords, in this order: C, C7, F, A7, D7, G7. Then, depending on the song she plans on teaching, she'll move on to F7, Dm, Bb.

Interesting Uncle Rod. I guess I picked my first 6 chords based on remembering what I did when I first tried to play one of these 4-stringed frustration machines. As a drummer, and a rank beginner on any stringed instrument it was quite the challenge.

It seems that most of the initial songs I glommed onto and played over and over again used some of the chords I chose. And one of the reasons I picked that set of 6 is because it's very easy to find many songs that use them and I was thinking in that context.

I think F7, D7 and Bb are difficult for a rank beginner, and C7 - easy as it is - doesn't get much play in most of the easier beginner songs. Maybe I'd put those in "chords to learn next."

Mahalo for your input, and I can only dream of making it to Waikiki, sigh.

Very nice! :)

If anyone would like to suggest some good beginner songs based on my 6 chords I'll put a few song sheets together and make them available to go along with the chord chart.

Jambalaya might be a good one to start with.

Top Bottom