Moku Choice series 1 concert

ukegirl

Reaction score
My experience..not very well built. Brought one in to take a peek. The neck was glued off center by at least an 1/8th of an inch and the heel was seperated where it met the body enough that you could put 2 business cards in the seam. I had checked out their website and thought they sounded interesting. Liked that they go through every Uke to make sure that no dogs get past the inspectors etc...but man, I got a real barker. Now granted, this thing sells for just north of a hundred bucks, but still. With the neck issue the strings were off to one side by such a margin that even a cursery look would tell you something was very wrong. Again, just my experience on just one Uke, and their entry line at that, but it went back from which it came....

Last edited:
Did you contact Moku before posting this? If not please do. Give them the opportunity to fix this before you besmirch their good name.

Did you contact Moku before posting this? If not please do. Give them the opportunity to fix this before you besmirch their good name.

Sounds like a fair review to me. Ukegirl even admitted that this is only one data point, so it may not be representative of the brand. Personally, I wouldn't feel bad sharing an experience like this. Companies who expect to maintain a good reputation should put more emphasis on quality control. That said, things do slip through the cracks from time to time, so it would be interesting to hear back from Ukegirl to see how Moku responded. I'm guessing they would make things right if given the chance. Whatever the case, I don't think Ukegirl was being gratuitous in her critique.

Sent it back to the seller (who has excellent customer service)....funny thing is that they sold it to me as being expertly set up and inspected too! (P.S. It was NOT Mim!)

They besmirched their own good name by sending this Uke out like it was....again, it is only one Uke and a base model at that, but the defects were so obvious that my review was accurate from my experience and point of view....I agree, things slip through the cracks, I'll grant you that, but this looked like it was built by a 5 year old..I can't give a tone review because of the above issues, not only was intonation off, it did not even exist...

Last edited:
Did you get another Moku? or did you go with another brand?
Sorry if I came across harsh in my first response. not my intention.

Did you get another Moku? or did you go with another brand?
Sorry if I came across harsh in my first response. not my intention.

No worries, did not take it that way! No, I think I'll wait on them and see if other folks have better luck! Did a private trade for a China made Cordoba that had sold at the same price point, was a little leary of them, but they really did a nice job on that one...traded a Kamoa lam soprano for it, a Cordoba 15Cm lam.I'll review that one later...as always, I enjoy buying trading and selling etc. Did buy a a new Gretsch as well...other than fret ends being sharp enough to cut a Holiday ham (before a little file work) it is a very nice uke...I'll write a review on that one later today..thanks!!

Ukegirl, that is unfortunate that you got one that slipped through the cracks. But my Moku MS-90S is simply the most elegant, well made, impeccable production ukulele inside and out I have seen to date. And did I say it plays well with a bright and woody spruce tone ? Contact Mike Mulqueen as I'm sure he will be interested in your experience. Mistakes happen in any situation so do not judge the entire brand without giving a fair chance to explain and rectify the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
Glad you got a good one..would love to see a pic! I'll let the original seller contact the Moku company once they get it back...I'm sure they will work out whatever issue needs to be resolved beween them.. I say the more the better when it comes to Uke choices so it was dissapointing to get what I was sent, but your experience certainly shows that they make some nice instruments as well...and I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I did not judge the entire brand, just my personal experience with the one I recieved...thanks!!

I thought this is a rather fair review on that ONE particular uke. ukegirl already mentioned that and she also followed through later by mentioning the after sales service. I don't see how her one bad experience with one uke can determine the whole reputation of the company. I feel a fair review would include the good and the lemon.

Hi ! I haven't been on UU for a while! Saw this post-Ukegirl let me know if everything has been taken care of -if you need a replcaement I will send one...I can honestly say I have never seen on of the Moku Ukes have the neck sepperating or glued in the wrong spot (maybe yours was damaged during shipping??) Which dealer did you buy the Uke from so I can take care of it? I def stand behind the Ukes and haven't had any of these issues happen before-any chance you can send pics of the defective one?
Thanks ! Mike @ Moku Ukes

Sorry this happened to you ukegirl.

I was just telling someone today to check out the Moku's because I thought (and still do) the craftsmanship and the attention to detail were far superior to other brands/models in similar price points. And the finish was much better when compared to similarly priced ukes as well. I hope this is just a fluke and it's a bummer that you had this experience. I've met Mike and I'm sure he'll make this right with you.

I am one of the first dealers to carry Moku Ukulele. Being in San Francisco, which is home of ukulele I can assure you that all of our Moku's have been checked out prior to sale. The fit and finish is excellent, starting from the laminate Choice series to the top of the line Select Series. Mike of Moku ukulele will take care of you and address your concerns.

Thank you for your generous offer! I did get my money back from the dealer so I am OK..thanks!!
Hi ! I haven't been on UU for a while! Saw this post-Ukegirl let me know if everything has been taken care of -if you need a replcaement I will send one...I can honestly say I have never seen on of the Moku Ukes have the neck sepperating or glued in the wrong spot (maybe yours was damaged during shipping??) Which dealer did you buy the Uke from so I can take care of it? I def stand behind the Ukes and haven't had any of these issues happen before-any chance you can send pics of the defective one?
Thanks ! Mike @ Moku Ukes

You know Mike...that thought went through my head as well...almost like the neck had been broken off and someone tried to glue it back on as best they could...I wish I could send you pictures, but after I opened the box, I call for a RGA and packed it back up and returned it to the dealer..You can PM if you would like and I'll give you any info I can to help you and your company...I will say that I am impressed with your response.!!

Ukegirl-glad you were taken care of !! All the Dealers I work with and myself are always very customer service driven and will make sure you are taken care of. It sounds like it may have been damaged during shipping-I'll send you a message !
THanks Mike @ Moku Ukuleles

Ukegirl-glad you were taken care of !! All the Dealers I work with and myself are always very customer service driven and will make sure you are taken care of. It sounds like it may have been damaged during shipping-I'll send you a message !
THanks Mike @ Moku Ukuleles

Way to go Mike, your products are top notch in my experience.

Update to the review

Well, I had a chance to pick up another one of these with the understanding it could be returned if defective. I liked what I saw on some of their higher end Ukes so I figured why not. Pleased to say that the new one is really nice for the money...very basic of course, but it has a very light build for a lam uke, and the build quality looks clean...and this one has a neck that is glued on straight! Tone is nice, typical of a concert...not plunky and a little softer...all in all pleased with this 2nd example!

Hey Ukegirl....that is great news!! Glad it all turned out well and you are now a happy and satisfied uker!!!

Top Bottom