Soprano. Concert. Tenor. Baritone. Why not "Alto" instead of tenor?

Actually, the concert size is also referred to as "alto."

You're probably asking the wrong question: Out of the four, only Concert is not a voice type.

So coming back to your thread title I'd simply say: because alto is a higher vocal range than tenor. As simple as that.
Thinking that a bit further you could even say that soprano and tenor are nonsense anyway, because they are tuned to exactly the same pitch.

This kind of question pops up every once in a while on the forums. I think Louis worded it the best, though.

Out of the four, only Concert is not a voice type.
Well, that's what I mean. Concert doesn't fit into the analogy.

...because alto is a higher vocal range than tenor.
Right, following the voice analogy a "concert" ukulele would be referred to as an "alto because it falls between tenor and soprano; SATB.

Not a big deal, clearly, I was just curious. I'm also on the Southwest Chief to Chicago and the scenery, as beautiful as it is, is starting to look the same so I needed a little electronic distraction.

I think think they should be named:

soprano = Bedroom
alto = Concert
tenor = Party
baritone = YouTube

Why not use common standards: S, M, L and XL

Or the "Land Rover" method*: name each one after its scale length, perhaps combined with the above for body size.
A soprano would be a 13S, a longneck soprano would be 15S, concert 15M, etc. up to 21XL for the bari

*Land Rover names the Defender after the wheelbase

aNueNue calls them just I, II and III.

Top Bottom