Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the UU Contests Heading discourage members from sharing their videos?

Default Does the UU Contests Heading discourage members from sharing their videos?

Have just seen some new members videos posted in the Videos and Links part of the forum.
    They were fantastic and would have gone down really well in the SEASONS.
    Many 'Senior' Members rarely or never participate in the Seasons.
    When the move was made to make this a Sub-Forum I was disappointed that it was not made a totally different Forum without the use of the word 'competition'.
    I haven't been around that long but feel more that I am sharing my clips with friend's rather than competing.
    I know that there is the Videos and Links part so no one is missing out and not being able to share because of the "C" word.
    I guess it's because I'd like to see as many Seasonistas as possible.
    Wondering what others think.
    Cheers, Briz.

after running a few contests and helping with the seasons, and participating, I have found that many people will submit more videos than they normally would other wise. I know that when I enter, I do it in support of the person running the contest. I have no illusions of winning, I just find it fun.
    Also keep in mind that some really good/ Professional players may not do the seasons since they don't feel it is fair to the others. That being said.. Craig Chee has entered a few seasons in support but has no expectation of winning since we all know he is a professional touring player.
    this is how I see it, be kind rewind
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Hippie Dribble Guest

I don't think so.

Sure, some people don't like 'competitions', but some do, and there is room at the table for everyone. There is a board for members to post videos to share if that is there wont, and there is a board for competitions. But they are not mutually exclusive. Though the seasons has developed it's own culture, it still is, like it or not, a competition. That said, it is the most inclusive and encouraging, non-threatening and welcoming competition I have ever seen. It wouldn't take a new member long to even have a cursory browse of these threads to realise that. There have been many, many posts on different boards in different threads from members competing in this competition right throughout the year extolling the virtues of this comp and encouraging others to join in the fun so most are aware of the 'non-competitive' environment here.

When the seasons started there were probably only about 15 members taking part regularly. Over the year it has grown and we would have had well over 50 members contributing at different times. And it continues to grow, to the point where it now has it's own sub-forum. Just the way it is Briz, I wouldn't over-think it. Don't forget too, that the UU is a big site with many boards to negotiate, it would take new members some time to even become aware of this rolling competition and this unique lil' sub-culture. Also, the vast majority of members don't post vids at all, anywhere. I certainly don't believe people are being discouraged and turned off by the "c" word.

... If you don't enter, you can't win...
    ... The opposite is not necessarily true.
    Cheers,
    Christian
    Can somebody save me from running my mouth, please?

While the Seasons are technically a competition, I don't know how many of us think about it that way. I enjoy making videos, but I have no illusions of ever winning anything, unless it's one of the random drawing weeks. It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    I don't think so.

....... And it continues to grow, to the point where it now has it's own sub-forum. Just the way it is Briz, I wouldn't over-think it. Don't forget too, that the UU is a big site with many boards to negotiate, it would take new members some time to even become aware of this rolling competition and this unique lil' sub-culture. Also, the vast majority of members don't post vids at all, anywhere. I certainly don't believe people are being discouraged and turned off by the "c" word.
    I saw that you made one new poster aware (invitation) of the Seasons after their clip was posted. I did the same. I also saw a new Seasonista enter the fray this season.
    But I don't believe I am over thinking, just musing and asking others to do the same. It was only just made a Sub-Forum so things can obviously change.
    I know it's a big site. I went and played in the General Discussion board for a while until this was posted by a member -
    "I am sitting here right now with a loaded gun. It is doing nothing. Now...If I was to pick it up and squeeze the trigger...then it will fire."
    I quickly scurried back to the safety of the music side of the site.

To those who have taken the time to post -
    Thanks for adding your thoughts and opinions.
    Cheers, Briz.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    While the Seasons are technically a competition, I don't know how many of us think about it that way. I enjoy making videos, but I have no illusions of ever winning anything, unless it's one of the random drawing weeks. It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us.
    _______________________________ __________________
    That is exactly my point Rich. "It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us"
    But we think that way because we came and put our toe in the water.
    Last edited by pabrizzer; 12-18-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: To move the I agree guy

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    _______________________________ __________________
    That is exactly my point Rich. "It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us"
    But we think that way because we came and put our toe in the water.
    and that is my view. It is continuing to grow only because more and more people are doing exactly that. There's no issue. If it aint broke...

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

It's also about timing and topic...Lots of people are busy during the holiday seasons and certain topics are more appealing to the general audience.

Take my advice, don't do top 100 hits of 2012 if you want lots of partipants!!! LOL

I've never had any illusion about winning one of the seasons - I simply enter (when I've got the opportunity to make a video) because I think the Seasons challenge me to try things I wouldn't so on my own. (Austin's percussion week, for example.) There are also weeks I've had time, but sat out, because none of the music appealed to me.

All that being said, my socks were blown completely off of my feet - leaving the shoes in place - when I won one of the seasons. A season I was not going to enter, until I remembered a song from my younger days that never failed to bring a tear to my eyes, no matter how cynical I was, am, or will become.

So my take on it is this: The Seasons contest isn't with other UU members, it is a competition with myself, to improve my playing, repertoire, and comfort in front of a camera. One of these days, that might even translate to getting me comfortable playing solo in front of an audience.

-Kurt

(Practicing a couple of songs, hoping I get a chance to record them.)
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information