Does the UU Contests Heading discourage members from sharing their videos?

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Have just seen some new members videos posted in the Videos and Links part of the forum.
They were fantastic and would have gone down really well in the SEASONS.
Many 'Senior' Members rarely or never participate in the Seasons.
When the move was made to make this a Sub-Forum I was disappointed that it was not made a totally different Forum without the use of the word 'competition'.
I haven't been around that long but feel more that I am sharing my clips with friend's rather than competing.
I know that there is the Videos and Links part so no one is missing out and not being able to share because of the "C" word.
I guess it's because I'd like to see as many Seasonistas as possible.
Wondering what others think.
Cheers, Briz.

after running a few contests and helping with the seasons, and participating, I have found that many people will submit more videos than they normally would other wise. I know that when I enter, I do it in support of the person running the contest. I have no illusions of winning, I just find it fun.
Also keep in mind that some really good/ Professional players may not do the seasons since they don't feel it is fair to the others. That being said.. Craig Chee has entered a few seasons in support but has no expectation of winning since we all know he is a professional touring player.
this is how I see it, be kind rewind

I don't think so.

Sure, some people don't like 'competitions', but some do, and there is room at the table for everyone. There is a board for members to post videos to share if that is there wont, and there is a board for competitions. But they are not mutually exclusive. Though the seasons has developed it's own culture, it still is, like it or not, a competition. That said, it is the most inclusive and encouraging, non-threatening and welcoming competition I have ever seen. It wouldn't take a new member long to even have a cursory browse of these threads to realise that. There have been many, many posts on different boards in different threads from members competing in this competition right throughout the year extolling the virtues of this comp and encouraging others to join in the fun so most are aware of the 'non-competitive' environment here.

When the seasons started there were probably only about 15 members taking part regularly. Over the year it has grown and we would have had well over 50 members contributing at different times. And it continues to grow, to the point where it now has it's own sub-forum. Just the way it is Briz, I wouldn't over-think it. Don't forget too, that the UU is a big site with many boards to negotiate, it would take new members some time to even become aware of this rolling competition and this unique lil' sub-culture. Also, the vast majority of members don't post vids at all, anywhere. I certainly don't believe people are being discouraged and turned off by the "c" word.

... If you don't enter, you can't win...
... The opposite is not necessarily true.

While the Seasons are technically a competition, I don't know how many of us think about it that way. I enjoy making videos, but I have no illusions of ever winning anything, unless it's one of the random drawing weeks. It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us.

I don't think so.

....... And it continues to grow, to the point where it now has it's own sub-forum. Just the way it is Briz, I wouldn't over-think it. Don't forget too, that the UU is a big site with many boards to negotiate, it would take new members some time to even become aware of this rolling competition and this unique lil' sub-culture. Also, the vast majority of members don't post vids at all, anywhere. I certainly don't believe people are being discouraged and turned off by the "c" word.

I saw that you made one new poster aware (invitation) of the Seasons after their clip was posted. I did the same. I also saw a new Seasonista enter the fray this season.
But I don't believe I am over thinking, just musing and asking others to do the same. It was only just made a Sub-Forum so things can obviously change.
I know it's a big site. I went and played in the General Discussion board for a while until this was posted by a member -
"I am sitting here right now with a loaded gun. It is doing nothing. Now...If I was to pick it up and squeeze the trigger...then it will fire.":eek:
I quickly scurried back to the safety of the music side of the site.:)

To those who have taken the time to post -
Thanks for adding your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers, Briz.

While the Seasons are technically a competition, I don't know how many of us think about it that way. I enjoy making videos, but I have no illusions of ever winning anything, unless it's one of the random drawing weeks. It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us.

_______________________________ :agree: __________________
That is exactly my point Rich. "It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us"
But we think that way because we came and put our toe in the water.

Last edited:
_______________________________ :agree: __________________
That is exactly my point Rich. "It's just a fun activity for me, and I think for most of us"
But we think that way because we came and put our toe in the water.
and that is my view. It is continuing to grow only because more and more people are doing exactly that. There's no issue. If it aint broke...

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

It's also about timing and topic...Lots of people are busy during the holiday seasons and certain topics are more appealing to the general audience.

Take my advice, don't do top 100 hits of 2012 if you want lots of partipants!!! LOL

I've never had any illusion about winning one of the seasons - I simply enter (when I've got the opportunity to make a video) because I think the Seasons challenge me to try things I wouldn't so on my own. (Austin's percussion week, for example.) There are also weeks I've had time, but sat out, because none of the music appealed to me.

All that being said, my socks were blown completely off of my feet - leaving the shoes in place - when I won one of the seasons. A season I was not going to enter, until I remembered a song from my younger days that never failed to bring a tear to my eyes, no matter how cynical I was, am, or will become.

So my take on it is this: The Seasons contest isn't with other UU members, it is a competition with myself, to improve my playing, repertoire, and comfort in front of a camera. One of these days, that might even translate to getting me comfortable playing solo in front of an audience.

-Kurt​

(Practicing a couple of songs, hoping I get a chance to record them.)

I'm with Jon, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Pabrizzer, you only joined in September, so you've missed the vast majority of the seasons, but they've worked perfectly, brilliantly, amazingly well since February. Why mess with a machine that's great just the way it is? The seasons are more than just a weekly contest, they're a happy, ever-expanding, super-supportive community, and it seems a little unfair you've only just got here and want to change something amazing just to fit your personal preferences :( If you want to make your own rules, host your own week, I'm sure lots of people, including myself, would be happy to enter. And if you just want to share videos, without the theme or the potential prizes, there's a sub-forum for that. That's the good thing about UU, there are sub-forums for everything!

Last edited:
I'm with Jon, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Pabrizzer, you only joined in September, so you've missed the vast majority of the seasons, but they've worked perfectly, brilliantly, amazingly well since February. Why mess with a machine that's great just the way it is? The seasons are more than just a weekly contest, they're a happy, ever-expanding, super-supportive community, and it seems a little unfair you've only just got here and want to change something amazing just to fit your personal preferences :( If you want to make your own rules, host your own week, I'm sure lots of people, including myself, would be happy to enter. And if you just want to share videos, without the theme or the potential prizes, there's a sub-forum for that. That's the good thing about UU, there are sub-forums for everything!
Well I may not have been here when the Seasons were done but I certainly haven't missed them. I have gone back and looked extensively through the play lists and the winners. And enjoyed doing so.
And it really is nothing to do with my personal preferences. I am quite happy to be part of the Seasons even though there is an element of competition.
My original post seems to be taken in a strange way.
Confident, outspoken people will certainly not be put off and participate in this enjoyable part of the site.
But my original question is about others....
And changes were recently made (such as the Sub-Forum) which is why I raised the question now.

And you know my original post proposed no changes just merely asked a question.
So I'm just not sure where this came from
"and it seems a little unfair you've only just got here and want to change something amazing just to fit your personal preferences :( "

To be honest Briz, I'm still not sure what the actual point of the thread is.

It seems we have discussed all these issues ad-nauseum re the competitive or otherwise nature of the seasons, and of it being encouraging and inclusive of members new and old.

As Tina said, there is a board to accommodate all tastes. There is a contests board because some folks like the challenge of contests and it also gives those who hold them the opportunity to give back to the community with the offer of prizes. Those who don't like competitions don't enter. So to answer your question: yes. and no.

We all know the seasons thing has evolved well beyond that basic dichotomy, as has been discussed in a number of other threads.

Last edited:
Let me be specific.
The Seasons was recently made a Sub-Forum within the UU Competition Board.
I was here when that happened.
It is that recent change that my question refers to.
So I'm having trouble with the "If it ain't broke ...."
It wasn't broke and a change was made.
I thought there was an opportunity there to make it it's own board.
Not change any aspect of how it was/is run or anything else.
And when you look at the Seasons they haven't been as static as is suggested. There was originally one host and now every host makes their own changes. It's GREAT.

Last edited:
It was made a sub-forum for the simple reason that all the seasons threads were totally clogging up the contest board and burying all other folks' contests. That's the only change that was made.

Now, it is it's own board for all intents and purposes, but it is still a contest and I don't detect any groundswell of opinion for change on that front.

So, again to answer your question: yes, and no. For those that don't like contests there are other boards for their vids.

Jon,
My last words on the subject I promise -
But sometimes the Season has not been a Competition it has been Raffle or Lottery.
Did not intend to ruffle feathers so.
Cheers, Briz.

Competition is known to be a driving force for improvement. Those who don't think so can simply share their abilities by individual posts or organized "show and tells".

This thread reminds me of the old saying reference sporting activities: "It's not important who wins or loses, it's how you play the game!" If so, why keep score?

(yes, I do understand and agree with why change was made, "just saying".)

Last edited:
If I log in with my phone I get the number of people reading each forum.
I would say that consistently the "contests" have a low count 5-8 usually
whereas the "Video and links" will have between 20-30 and the "Uke Talk"
seems to top the list, hovering around 100.

So I get the impression that more people want to talk about Ukuleles than
go to the trouble of making a video of actually playing.

I have also noticed that even though a video is posted to the "contests"
it is also often posted to the "Video links" and I suspect this is because perhaps
it is to get more exposure... or to let other people know that the "seasons"
exist.

Before the seasons came along I was always waiting for a new challenge to arrive.
and when they did they would always run for an extended period of time, and
sometimes they seemed few and far between. And the prizes were usually substantial.
Mim's Eddy Finn Uke springs to mind. Whereas often the prizes for the seasons
have been trinkets (and I do love my trinkets)

Then the new kid on the block arrived, and the "seasons" were for one week only,
and there was a rapid turn over of themes, hosts, and prizes, and the poor old
"contests" seemed to be left eating the dirt from the wheel spins of the "seasons"

So to my mind moving the seasons to a separate sub forum might give the old
"contests" a breather to start doing things at a leasurely and sedate pace once again.

But regardless of how things operate the seasons will remain a watering hole for
a few select beasts and the majority of the herd will stay away... at least that is how
I interoperate the numbers.

I have also noticed that even though a video is posted to the "contests"
it is also often posted to the "Video links" and I suspect this is because perhaps
it is to get more exposure... or to let other people know that the "seasons"
exist.

I'm curious myself on why people do that? Letting others know about the seasons seems like the modest answer

Top Bottom