What's a good uke with a pickup?

singnswimgirl

Reaction score
I write songs and play in nashville, but my eleuke just isn't cutting it. I need an acoustic concert uke with a plug in pickup. I'll have to order online, and I'm willing to spend up to $500 on it. I'd also like it to have a strap. Since you guys know more than me about what woods/brands are good, I thought I'd ask on here. Thanks for the help!! P.S. I don't like tones that are too tinny sounding, I'd prefer a warmer tone if possible. Thanks :)

I like the Oscar Schmidt OU-5E. Its plays well, looks very nice and has good sound. I came by one on a trade for something else. It is koa trimmed in abalone. Msrp is $389, but I am in this one $185. I make 1inch wide web straps in 16 different colours and also make leather one in several different models and colours. Pictures of the uke and the straps are available. Honestly, if I didn't have a Giannini custom made 10EL ($1000) , I would be very content with the 5E. It also has a padded bag.

SHS International has several different electric tenors --Okume - Lacewood- Bamboo- and four different mahogany ones. All are cut aways, and very reasonably priced. There seems to be more electric tenors than concerts.
You can see their catalog at www.shsinternational.com My prices are far less than their MSRP. The bamboo model is not a cutaway, but it is available in the concert size.

Leolani Ukuleles are also good instruments and very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom