45th Season of the Ukulele: "Whilst Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night"

Tootler

Reaction score
45th Season of the Ukulele: "Whilst Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night"

Welcome to the 45th Season of the Ukulele. My married daughter and family arrived this afternoon, so I've not had time to produce an intro video this time, I'm afraid.

So here's the challenge.

Background:

While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night was written by Nahum Tate about 1700. For over 100 years, it was the only Christmas hymn approved by the Anglican Church to be sung in church. As result it many local musicians wrote or adapted tunes for it to be sung to so it has been sung to a variety of tunes over the years and, in fact, still is.

Today, the most usual tune used in Britain is “Winchester Old” taken from a late 16th century psalter (example here) and in America “Christmas” an adaptation by Lowell Mason of an aria from a Handel Opera (example here).

The Challenge

Sing "While Shepherds Watched" to a different tune from either of the two above, accompanying yourself on the ukulele. You can use an existing tune or you can write your own. If you use an existing tune, it doesn't have to be one already known as a hymn tune, it can be from anywhere. A tune from a pop song or a classical theme, for example, is fine. Be creative.

Words

If you're not sure of the full words you can find them here.

You don't have to sing the whole carol if you don't want but please include at least three verses.

Parameters

* Ukulele front and centre
* State in your video that the recording is for the "45th season of the ukulele" (at the beginning or end, either is fine)
* Give the name and/or source of your tune somewhere in your entry.
* Multi-tracking is permitted. Have fun and be creative with your entries. A common feature of church music writing in 18th Century England was fuguing – where each section of the choir would enter in turn with the same phrase so they overlapped and harmonised.
A bit like this:

If someone else chooses the tune you were going to use, no problem. Go ahead and use it anyway but try to give your version a distinctive flavour.

Bonus Tracks

Bonus tracks? Yes please. You can either post more tunes to “While Shepherds Watched” or alternatively, since it is the season of goodwill, post songs on a theme of Peace and Goodwill.

Prizes
As it's Christmas, no first, second and third prizes will be awarded this season but everyone who posts a worthy entry will be given a certificate. I will be the judge of what is a worthy entry and will adopt very generous criteria.

Deadline:
11:59 PM Hawaii time, Sunday December 30th. That's 10am Monday 31st December here in the UK.

Playlists.
Season 45 Entries playlist
Season 45 Bonus tracks playlist

I probably won't get time to comment on the entries early in the week but I will try to update the playlists daily. I expect that early on, most of you will be busy anyway (as I will). I will try to listen to entries later in the week and make appropriate comments.

Enjoy the challenge and Seasons Greetings to all of you Seasonistas.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try and do something a little different with this. What's interesting is that the words don't hold to the standard verse-chorus-verse-(bridge)-chorus pattern modern music is so bound to...

While Shepherds Blow In The Wind

It took less than 30 minutes from reading the challenge to getting this first take in the can. Just came to me reading the lyric in iambic pentameter.

Nifty challenge, Geoff.

Tune written in 1962 by a Jewish lad from the frozen north of Hibbing, Minnesota, one Robert Allen Zimmerman.

While Shepherds Watch / Yankee Doodle.
Not as silly as it sounds - Yankee Doodle dates back to the 1750s. Same era as the hymn. Melody is not attributed to anyone but the lyrics sometimes are. Just by coincidence it is the State song of the state Connecticut.

Last edited:
Managed a bit of time while wife, elder daughter & granddaughter have gone to the shops.

I posted this at 1am this morning local time and when I checked eight hours later there were already two entries. Great :cool:

Two excellent starts. Great choices both of you.

@~Dave~~Wave~. Loved the Dylan style delivery with the harmonica intro and instrumental break and also repeating the last two lines for the chorus.

@pabrizzer. Excellent choice fits beautifully and you worked the bridge in nicely. Also well sung.

I think I'm going to try and do something a little different with this. What's interesting is that the words don't hold to the standard verse-chorus-verse-(bridge)-chorus pattern modern music is so bound to...

A lot of pop songs are just verse, verse, bridge, verse which gives you four verses. If you repeat bridge and verse you can actually do all six. Jazz era songs are often a lot more sophisticated but I'm sure you'll find something that works. Looking forward to your entry.

If you want something a little different a version that's commonly sung in folk music circles over here has a chorus between each verse.

Here is an example sung by English Folk Singer, Kate Rusby.

The chorus goes:

Sweet bells, sweet bells,
Sweet chiming Christmas bells
They cheer us on our heavenly way
Sweet chiming bells.

If you have a tune that needs a chorus then use this. I'd love to hear at least one person give it a go.

My wife likes this version so pretty please.

ive got my idea ready will do it later,,,,,,, is it allowed to funny? i dont want to upset anyone,

I've set up the entries playlist here and I've updated the initial post with the link.

I will add a bonus tracks playlist later.

ive got my idea ready will do it later,,,,,,, is it allowed to funny? i dont want to upset anyone,

Won't upset me but then I'm not particularly religious.

Please stick to the actual words though, just make the presentation humorous. I'm sure many of us know at least one set of "alternative" words. :nana:

Last edited:
~dave~~wave~ excellent, great version
pabrizzer brilliant, also the theme to Roger Ramjet
Yes. But I wasn't going to mention that. Doesn't quite fit in with the 1700s theme.
You gotta love this line
"Fly through in and outer space" (inner would have been more correct)

Last edited:
this is gonna be tough for me as a dyslexic agnostic....... i dont believe in DOG :)

got my entry worked out now to find time to record it, would love to do it in the local church, but i dont think they will let me.
Great theme Geoff :)

Won't upset me but then I'm not particularly religious.
Please stick to the actual words though
Tootler - I have changed one word in the last verse to "Goddess" (instead of the more patriarchal God). I am a firm believer in the sacredness of the feminine and a higher Benevolent Being that transcends gender. I hope this does not offend anyone.

Top Bottom