$300 budget on a ukulele, what should I buy?

morgothaod

Reaction score
Hi :D, I would like to "upgrade" my Kala KA-S but I have no idea what Uke to buy. $300 is the most I want to spend. Can I get a high quality instrument for that price? What do you all recommend? I want to get another soprano. Thanks!

It depends on your definition of high quality. If you mean a handmade, luthier built instrument, then no. But if you mean a well set up soprano or concert from some very well respected manufacturer (ie., Pono, Islander, Mainland, Lanikai, Kala, etc.), then the answer is definitely yes. Do a little research on line and determine what you want in terms of sound quality, fit and finish, all solid or solid top.....there is a vast number of good ukes out there in your price range. Personally, I'd be looking at Pono, Islander or Mainland solid instruments. For example, my local shop here has solid mahogany Pono seconds (MS and MC) for about $180 and solid mahogany Islanders MSS-4 for about $280.

Last edited:
My wife has a Pono Acacia Soprano, all solid wood, well-built and sweet sounding for just about $300. My daughter has an all solid Mahogany Kala Soprano that cost around $200 and it is super loud and surprisingly great sounding! Good luck in your search.

Have seen previously owned KoAloha sopranos for very reasonable prices. KoAloha sopranos are definitely nice and sound great. They're bright, loud and responsive.

There are some very good suggestions here. I will add some of what I have found, since I am looking for a soprano in your price range, and hope it helps! I should mention I have not yet bought one, so this is based on my research only.

The KoAlana is made by KoAloha of solid sapele (in the mahogany family, as I understand it) and, judging by the videos I've seen, has a nice sound. It is slightly above your budget at $309 but they are including a case. Also it has KoAloha's standard warranty which is pretty good. (I have my eye on this little beauty myself, if you can't tell! :D). That's at Hawaii Music Supply.

I was also looking at KPK not too long ago. I've heard some really good things about them, and Jason has a great reputation for great customer service and for setting his 'ukes up beautifully. They are solid acacia, although he now has some concerts and tenors in solid mahogany. Also they recently re-designed the headstock and it looks really nice, if you're into that sort of thing. Personally, I haven't ruled the KPK out for myself but I think I want mahogany as I sing and play and I think it it better for my voice, and like you I prefer soprano. Anyway, the prices are excellent.

Stop the presses! I just went to get the website address for you and Jason (KPK) now has mahogany sopranos, too, so I am going to investigate further. Here is his website in case you want to do the same: http://pilikoko.com/

Good luck to you! Don't forget to let us know what you end up getting, and to show us pictures!

I second ukuLily Mars' recommendation for the Koalana. I personally bought the concert size Koalana, and it is an absolutely fantastic ukulele. I don't think you would be disappointed with a Koalana soprano at all. When shopping around, I was able to try out concert size ukuleles in the $300 range including Mainland, Pono, Islander, and Kala ukuleles at a local store. I still decided on the Koalana and have zero regrets. I think the Koalana is easily the best of the bunch.

But, if you really don't want to go over $300, HMS has a Pono soprano micro blemish ukulele on sale for $179. You could get a hard case, tuner, strings and still be under your budget ceiling.

My vote always goes to Mainland. I had a KPK, in fact my daughter in law still has it and loves it, but I think the Mainlands are better made and sound nicer. Just my opinion of many though.

Why buy a more expensive ukulele?

What makes more expensive ukuleles better? I mean, the Kala KA-S that I'm playing stays in tune and the GCEA strings that I play sound exactly like the ones that the guy doing the video lessons plays. I know the outside appearance may be fancier and look less toylike over the one I'm playing, but in terms of sound, will it really make much of a difference? I'm guessing that when I learn more advanced techniques that I'll notice a difference between the two instruments? I only have 3 weeks experience and I'm currently just learning the major and minor chords as well as a few beginner songs.

I started with a Kala that's even cheaper than yours. Basically the same uke just unadorned. I still think it sounds fine. And at 3 weeks in your Kala should serve you well for some time to come.

When you're a little more into it you'll try some other ukes and will notice a difference in sound. More resonance, longer sustain, more bell-like notes, etc. But no need to rush into another instrument. If you're like most everybody else here it won't be long until you have several!

It just depends what you want. If you're having doubts about the need for a new uke, keep playing what you have, open an account with that $300 at www.Smartypig.com, and have some money saved every month until you have $600-1,000 saved. Then--the doors of the secret ukeworld open, and you enter into Kamakaland, Martinville, etc.

Smartypig.com is a great way to save and keep track of your goals. I use it all the time--it's free! :)

Just got a Pono AS from HMS for less than $300. I really like it. Good luck in your search.

What makes more expensive ukuleles better? I mean, the Kala KA-S that I'm playing stays in tune and the GCEA strings that I play sound exactly like the ones that the guy doing the video lessons plays. I know the outside appearance may be fancier and look less toylike over the one I'm playing, but in terms of sound, will it really make much of a difference? I'm guessing that when I learn more advanced techniques that I'll notice a difference between the two instruments? I only have 3 weeks experience and I'm currently just learning the major and minor chords as well as a few beginner songs.

It's difficult to compare ukes unless you do so side-by-side. I didn't think a K uke could sound so much better than my Pono concert until I laid it down and picked up and played a Kanilea. Even my wife, who knows nearly nothing about ukes, could hear a striking difference in tone, projection, etc. etc.etc.

Phil knows of what he speaks. I was playing my Ohanas, which I loved, and then immediately picked up the Kamaka. There's a reason a Kamaka is a Kamaka and you can hear it.

Top Bottom