Thread: "hybrid" strings on a tenor ukulele?

Default "hybrid" strings on a tenor ukulele?

Thomastik-Infeld KR116
    These are a rope-core, tape wound string. Kind-of midway between nylon and steel as far as sound goes, and very evenly tensioned. I used them a couple years ago, and they were recommended by FaceMeltingUkulele on youtube:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/t...-set-1499.html
    His most viewed song, a cover of Little Wing, has been removed, but UU feeched it a few years ago I think, and these strings were being used in the vid, and it was AMAZING!(although I can't find it anywhere now!)

I enjoyed the sound, but sold the ukulele shortly after.

Now I have a much more expensive uke, and am just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. By my calculations, the tensions on a 17" tenor scale(low-G tune) SHOULD be around:

A:5.8kg (12.78lbs)
    E:5.1kg (11.25lbs)
    C:5.0kg (11.00lbs)
    G:5.1kg (11.25lbs)

While Aquila Nylguts run:

A:6.7kg
    E:5.9kg
    C:5.3kg
    G:6.2kg

The only thing I'm worried about is that I remember the Thomastiks seeming to FEEL higher tension on the fingers. Any thoughts?

Did you ever try this?
    Those strings look really intriguing to an old flatwound guy. I may have to invest $30 and experiment a little, I'm thinking more toward a baritone.

-------------------------------------
    P.S. Great forum name. I remember Chris Bell.
    Every night I tell myself I am the cosmos, I am the wind... but that don't get you back again...
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

I used those for a while on a lightly built steel string that wouldn't survive modern string tensions. I remember they were a delight to play, but they were very fragile. After breaking a few $30 sets I finally gave up trying. I just couldn't afford them.
    "Master technique and then forget about it and be natural"

I don't know the actual tension, but based on your observations that they are somewhere between nylon and steel, it stands to reason the tension will be a bit higher than the Aquilas as well. As long as the construction can take it, higher tension will affect the sound, usually making things louder or "brighter", again somewhere between the sound of nylon and steel.
    "Master technique and then forget about it and be natural"

Thread Information