Knock-off CONTEST!

Freeda - Inspiration has hit at last! This morning I woke up to find work cancelled because of icy roads. So I spent my unexpected day off writing and recording a song for your contest. This is a parody of D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette:eek:

Last edited:
Nothing like pushing it to the end. Reminds me of every semester in school. ;) Here is a parody of "Take It Easy" by The Eagles.

Lyrics:

Well I’m a driving down the street, looking for food to eat. I’ve got seven dollars in my hand.
Maybe some McNuggets, that won’t blow my budget. Heading to McDonald Land.
Supersize me supersize me, just take my cash and send me to the second window.

Got my burger got my fries, oh I can hardly believe my eyes. Just make sure there are no onions and supersize me.
Well now I’m sitting in my driveway most of my fries gone, and just then it dawns on me.
I forgot to see, if my Wife would be interested in some Mickey D’s.

Come on baby, please don’t make me drive all the way back to McDonald’s, how lame that would be.
You can have the last few fries and half my burger we can compromise.
I’ll even give you all my drink, they supersized me.

Well I’m a driving down the street, picking up food to eat. The Wife just didn’t want to share.
But it’s a winner winner, she got the chicken dinner. And I got more fries so I didn’t care.
Supersize me supersize me, I had to make a second trip to the golden arches.
I will be the first to admit, that the second trip was well worth it. Maybe I’ll be back tomorrow to Supersize me.

Voila! Here is my entry, and it's recycled AND knocked off! I have to confess I actually had something else planned, and the lovely and talented Myrna provided gracious assistance, and it just didn't work. So I used the melody and chords from my entry in last week's Seasons contest ("I'm an Old Cowhand" by Johnny Mercer) and I wrote some lyrics about playing my 'ukulele, and I hope you all enjoy it!

Oh, I should mention my 'ukulele is a blue Makala Dolphin named Fifi Bonne-Soirée, and I actually don't live all that far from the Matterhorn.

Freeda, this is an awesome contest! Thanks for hosting it!

Great job everyone! Anyone who wants to sneak in a last minute entry, get on it! I have to be out of town for a meeting in the morning, so won't get to review these until after lunchtime. My secretary will be a guest judge. :)

Argh! Great contest, just wish I could have found the time to enter. I was working on a sad, slow ballad version of Judy Is A Punk by The Ramones. Wonderful stuff here by everyone who entered. Good luck!

I do you for another russian song.

In the early 1950's there was a series on Russian television called Rawhide. It dealt with herding of reindeer in the Arctic wastes of Siberia The main character was a young prisoner called Rosvo Roope who had escaped from the Gulag and now spent most of his time chasing reindeer in search of a huge bull stag with a big red nose. One of the most loved character was the cantankerous cook, Yrjö Pukkipesu Toivoluu and most of the memorable dialogues was between him a Roope and their discussions about fish soup or the need for more beetroot in their diet.

The reindeer drive was from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Novosibirsk and the director was the great Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein who was famous for the silent movie Battleship Potemkin. The music was specially commisioned by The Five, also known as The Mighty Handful or The Mighty Coterie.

They took it in turn to compose music for each series. It has long been contested who was responsible for the theme tune Rawhide. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov being a brash and bold character claimed that it was him but most critics believe at the authorship really belongs to Modest Mussorgsky, but as his name suggest he was too modest to lay claim to the composition.

The CBS network bought the rights from Eintstein and on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959 and American version of Rawhide was aired in America. It ran for a total of 8 seasons, but with the advent of the cold war the russians refused to translate anymore episodes of "Rakkanähka" and the American series ended.

The russian originals are into their twelfth rerun in Albania. They are screened back to back with Norman Wisdom black and white films.

WGY - would I be right in thinking you have often listened to "I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue" ;)

I do you for another russian song.

In the early 1950's there was a series on Russian television called Rawhide. It dealt with herding of reindeer in the Arctic wastes of Siberia The main character was a young prisoner called Rosvo Roope who had escaped from the Gulag and now spent most of his time chasing reindeer in search of a huge bull stag with a big red nose. One of the most loved character was the cantankerous cook, Yrjö Pukkipesu Toivoluu and most of the memorable dialogues was between him a Roope and their discussions about fish soup or the need for more beetroot in their diet.

The reindeer drive was from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Novosibirsk and the director was the great Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein who was famous for the silent movie Battleship Potemkin. The music was specially commisioned by The Five, also known as The Mighty Handful or The Mighty Coterie.

They took it in turn to compose music for each series. It has long been contested who was responsible for the theme tune Rawhide. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov being a brash and bold character claimed that it was him but most critics believe at the authorship really belongs to Modest Mussorgsky, but as his name suggest he was too modest to lay claim to the composition.

The CBS network bought the rights from Eintstein and on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959 and American version of Rawhide was aired in America. It ran for a total of 8 seasons, but with the advent of the cold war the russians refused to translate anymore episodes of "Rakkanähka" and the American series ended.

The russian originals are into their twelfth rerun in Albania. They are screened back to back with Norman Wisdom black and white films.

Nice try on explanation.
Not believe but many enjoyment still had from your mixed of sorrowful Russian tune and imperialist American cowboy type lyric from theme of TV show.
Would have been improve by addition of Russian Cossack type dancing at some point in performance.
Molodtsom!

Oh my gosh, I have no idea how people decide these things!! :) Sorry it has taken me so long.

On the up side, I learned how to make a playlist on youtube when it's not my own videos. So that's cool!

If I got it right, here's the playlist. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbch-EzP9ihok4M0kNLN84HvseN5WfgOo

Commentary, sorry for the vague names, as I don't recall the correlation between youtube names and uu screen names:

Matty Groves, by Berni. Love this, as I sing Shady Grove often at group jams. You have an excellent voice! Scandal is always fun.

Greenland Whale Fish thingy, by Berni. I don't know the traditional song this is based on but I liked it very much even though I'm not partial to protest-type songs. I could totally see this at some Greenpeace sit in.

Caspar's Song, by Berni. Dude, you are a contest machine! This is hilarious. I may have to learn it.

Toxic, by the Ukelites. I think this song suits you guys just perfectly. It fits your very cool groove.

Home in the Hood, by portly knight. What a lovely deep voice! I work in the "hood" and it definitely takes a keen eye to find the daisies in the sidewalk cracks.

Knitting song, by Kurt. You have a lovely group! I wouldn't have thought to combine a uke group with a traditional "stitch and bitch" session. Love it!

Fairytale of NY, by Geoff. What a lovely song! I've never heard that before. Especially when it gets to the uptempo part, it totally felt like a pub song. Pass a pint!

Take Me Out To The Ballgame, by Red. You are frickin' hilarious as always. It reminded me of when I was a kid and the whole Reagan cold war thing was going on so we heard a lot about Russia and they were always the bad guys in the movies.

MmmBop, by Ken. I've always loved the lyrics of this song but not Hanson's execution of it. You've improved upon it immensely! :)

Flo Rida, by Doug. Just about pissed myself laughing. Keep yo' pimp hand strong, brotha.

U-K-U-L-E-L-E, by Myrna. I love your voice. I remember you from UWC, such a distinctive singing style. This should be the theme song for this website.

Supersize me, by Gary. Someone already supersized your ukulele! Very well written and something we can all identify with, I think.

Uke en Suisse, by Lily. I don't know the original this is based on, but it is so pretty! Such good writers in this group! Ukey kiokey kiyay is super catchy.

Down with the Sickness, by Isaac. (Ads! Apparently youtube knows I've been browsing tin ceiling tiles lately.) I actually really like the original song, and I like how your interpretation opens it up to people who wouldn't normally listen to that genre being exposed to the lyrics.

Rawhide/Kalina, by Red. Man, I never know what to say except to bust out laughing. Alternative histories crack me up - that's one thing I'm not creative enough for, to make these backstories.

This took WAY longer than I thought it would to go through all of them. And I truly apologize for making y'all wait so long.

So.... should I make you wait for an announcement video? Or should I just spill?

I believe I shall spill.

And to apologize for the delay...

I shall have two winners!!!

Ready?

DOUG AND MYRNA!!!!!!!

Please inbox me!!

Last edited:
Congrats to Doug & Myrna, and Thank You! to Freeda!

I always love watching others reach a little farther - it always inspires me to try, as well.

-Kurt​

OMG- really?!? I'm so happy you liked my song Freeda! Gotta say this contest really inspired me. I've never really written a song before. Once I got the idea to use the D-I-V-O-R-C-E melody this one just sort of wrote itself. This was a GREAT idea for a contest. Thanks for all your hard work putting it all together.
And congrats to Doug! You did a great job with your song.

Thanks for the fun contest, Freeda, glad you liked my little video. :) And congrats, Myrna, and great entries everyone.

Congrats to the winners! I'm just glad that the contest gave me a reason to record my three "knock offs" ;)

So sad to have my Ingrid Michaelson's parody of "You and I" forgotten about ): That's okay though. Congrats to the winners!

Here's my submission for "Freeda's Knock-off CONTEST!" Alas, I did make this a while ago. I wrote a new parody of another song but I don't think I'll have time to film and post it. If any of you know me you know I like parodies and puppets!

Top Bottom