Thread: A beginners perspective

Default A beginners perspective

It took me 3 weekends with a little time during the week, but I finally learned what I think is a fairly complicated songÖ Something by the Beatles, instrumental version, compliments of a tutorial in 4 parts from the Dominator.. big, big thank you for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO6ivwykqc

Rewind to early August.. after a 40 year lull from playing guitar, I thought Iíd drop by the local music store and browse their acoustic guitars. What the heck, older now.. probably more patience.. it might work. I donít play golf, so what am I going to do on the weekends anyway.

That evening I come home and my wife takes one look and says ĎWhat the f#&k is that?í. It was a concert Ibanez. The store only had 2 ukuleles in stock and I had brought one home.

Since then,
    1. I found Ukulele Underground and UU101, Uke Minutes, etc
    2. The forum.. thank all of you!!
    3. First callous
    4. UAS
    5. HMS, dammit!
    6. KoAloha, Collings, Kala, Pono, Fluke and a Kanilea on the way
    7. The Daily Ukulele 1 & 2
    8. String acquisition syndrome
    9. Living Water and Southcoast strings
    10. And just a lot of strumming until I buckled down to learn this one song note for note

Having fun and even though the Something tutorial at first glance was frightening, I slowed down, listened to Dom very carefully and hit a lot of bad notes. Being patient and persistent, all of the sudden Iím playing the damn song and it sounds great..at least to me! By hanging in there and learning this one song, note for note, I find that Iím playing other stuff more easily. Very cool.

Practice and persistence does pay off and slowing down is the key!

Blue Yeti microphone is on the way.. hope to post some videos soonest possible.

My wife stopped calling it Ďmy little ge-tarí and has actually been very complementary of my playing.

Cheers to the great UU community!

Bob
    Kanile'a Honu Tenor,Kala Sunburst Archtop-

How about that?! Congratulations on applying yourself to Dominator's tutorial - and doing it. I've tinkered with it and put it back in the drawer a few times myself. Your description of the time-line after being bitten should be familiar to many here. It sure is to me.

That's awesome Bob! Post your video so we can be the judge!! J/K any progress is good progress!

Sweet! Dom is awesome.

Patient and Persistent - that's the key!
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

Heh, heh. We may have to coin a knew acronym ROUAS - Rapid Onset Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome!

At least you're getting good ones!

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I could relate to so much of your list. Great stuff and nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Heh, heh. We may have to coin a knew acronym ROUAS - Rapid Onset Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome!

John
    HA! you are so right..

forgot to mention

11. Maya Moe build scheduled in April

ROAUS indeed..
    Kanile'a Honu Tenor,Kala Sunburst Archtop-

I had a similar experience with my wife and my playing. I noodled around with a guitar off and on for abot 6 or 7 years. Near could get it right, had a lot of trouble, especially with the bar chords and stretches. I discovered the uke this year and bought one....then another....then another.....and have a Koalana soprano on the way!

Well, my guitar playing used to drive my wife nuts. She'd complain about the volume, the reptition of the exercises as i struggled with picking and strumming....but in the last month or so she has been very complimentary on my uke skills, and actually enjoys hearing me practice. She even recognizes many of the songs i play......now my singing, that's a different story! LOL

Enjoy!

John
    John Glover
    Naperville, IL

Koalana Soprano KSA-00
    Islander MS-4
    Islander MSC-4
    Pono MC
    Lanikai LU-22CGC
    Pono PT-6E

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post

John
    That's a great acronym, we've all been there!
    http://www.youtube.com/errol4bz
    http://leroy4bz.blogspot.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain!

Thread Information