FAKE nails.. tips and tricks

davoomac

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Okay so I know of a few ukulele performers that use fake nails to play. I want to know:

What are good brands?
What is something to look out for?
How do they work? glue?
Is there a way to put them on and off for performances anytime?
are fake nails better than fingerpicks?
whats the difference between fake nails and real nails as far as performance/sound?

As you can see I don't know anything about the fake nails since I have never used them :rolleyes:

Thanks for any information!
-Dave

Go to a local shop and have them done, its about 15 buck for the right hand with shaping, 30 US/California Prices if they shape and smooth of the other hand as well. Make sure that they use the clear powder mixed with acetone and they will last about 5 weeks then they will need to be shaped and refilled where you nail has grown out in the back and you will have to pay ~8-10 buck to get that fixed.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, you will hurt yourself or glue your hands togeher or shave the nails down to far and it will hrt like nothing else for weeks.

Okay so I know of a few ukulele performers that use fake nails to play. I want to know:

What are good brands?
How do they work? glue?
whats the difference between fake nails and real nails as far as performance/sound?

As you can see I don't know anything about the fake nails since I have never used them :rolleyes:

-Dave

they have thumbpicks, thats what i see a lot of performers use.

and if you eat jello, the jellitine(sp) will make your hair and your nails grow thicker

I just grow the nails on my right hand long.
But do what works for you.

Acabooe:cool:

dude you want to know what brand. well CHOOSE!
funnyfingernails.jpg

Nah i'm jus kidding more fun with editing tools, but yeah maybe u should jus grow em out. fake nails are so expensive for something u know fake.

What are good brands?
How do they work? glue?

-Dave
Dude dave we can just go k-mart! haha get it there! lol

kamaka or kala haha they look sweeeet. but yeah it wud be sweet to have that kamaka logo...

.... The kamaka logo could be a made tat!!!!!!!!!

Silver fern tat works for me.

I met B.B. Shawn (Blind Boy shawn) when he was playing uke for Ka'au Crater Boys... when I shook his hand, I noticed his whole right hand was fake nails... I was like... brah you GENIOUS!!!

couldn't really see it when he was on stage... honestly it didn't even matter. If you heard him jam, you'd FREAK OUT... and probably say... I just need to retire! LOL

I met B.B. Shawn (Blind Boy shawn) when he was playing uke for Ka'au Crater Boys... when I shook his hand, I noticed his whole right hand was fake nails... I was like... brah you GENIOUS!!!

couldn't really see it when he was on stage... honestly it didn't even matter. If you heard him jam, you'd FREAK OUT... and probably say... I just need to retire! LOL

the WHOLE hand? :eek:

Lol, I just posted this on another thread...

aLaska picks: http://www.alaskapik.com/

These are removable, customizable, and cheap. Plus, they are durable (my guitar teacher has had the same set for years).

~Valerie

Yea, Troy Fernandez ran the acryllics too...it's not too uncommon actually

Lol, I just posted this on another thread...

aLaska picks: http://www.alaskapik.com/

These are removable, customizable, and cheap. Plus, they are durable (my guitar teacher has had the same set for years).

~Valerie

I keep a set of these in my gig-bag along with a roll of that cotton-bandage-tape stuff to use if I break a nail. I use to tape to help keep em on and also to cover the slots on the top (without the tape I tend to snag the strings in the slot when I triple-strum)

Last edited:
yeah, his whole right hand...

shoot... my wife's trippin that I wanna try it too. But yknow... makes for consistency? friggin nails... mainly my index and middle nails... when they break... FRICK BRAH!! So bummed till they grow back... LOL

Uke Player That Used Fake Nail Sets Vs. Professionally Done

You could try a set from your local drug store that sells these fake nail sets. The only difference I found using the fake nail set from actually getting them done professionally was that the cheap set will break faster than the professionally done one!! I use to have one my friends girlfriend do them for me cause I was to embaressed to get them done in a beauty shop!!:D It also depends on how hard you pick!! But let me tell it works!! The picking sounds alot different...cleaner, crisper and loud. I think the cheap set I use to use was like Lee Press On Nails and some other generic brand. The glue is the same as super glue.:D Use to use them on my pointer, middle and thumb.

Hope this helps!!

Happy Playing!!

that's the best way. Also, I would be made fun of with fake nails.

i wouldn't ever put fake nails on because.. doesn't seem normal to me for a guy to wear fake nails.. but i guess its like "a girl color is pink" its not, girls just happen to wear it more.

I wouldn't be made fun of.. everybody would tease the sh!t out of me for ever and ever.. i get teased for fileing(sp??) lmao my nails instead of cutting.

Growing your nails on the hand you strum with seems easier because i used to grow both but when i hold the strings down the nail sumtimes hits the string and makes a weird noise lol :D

i think it would look weird for a guy to be buying fake nails. but i didnt know that eating jello makes your nails and hair thicker. do you have to eat it often?

Top Bottom