http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...read.php?t=747

I'm going to merge these threads...

Threads merged.

URG.

my bad once again.

i bow to you seeso

Default clear matte polish

Ok -- this is for the guys.

There is a product made by OPI that is called Nail Envy. It makes your nails harder. One of the Nail Envy polishes comes in a matte finish -- read "dull finish". It really does harden the nails. I think this is probably what you would want to use. If you put on fake nails you're pretty much asking for trouble later. The longer fake nails are on, the worse your real nails are. When you take the fake nails off your real nails will be really soft and thin. Then you've got more problems....

OPI can be purchased at nails salons, beauty supply places etc. Usually won't find it at Walgreens, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Ok -- this is for the guys.

There is a product made by OPI that is called Nail Envy. It makes your nails harder. One of the Nail Envy polishes comes in a matte finish -- read "dull finish". It really does harden the nails. I think this is probably what you would want to use. If you put on fake nails you're pretty much asking for trouble later. The longer fake nails are on, the worse your real nails are. When you take the fake nails off your real nails will be really soft and thin. Then you've got more problems....

OPI can be purchased at nails salons, beauty supply places etc. Usually won't find it at Walgreens, etc.
    thank you so much dude.

i just called my mom up on her cell and it turned out she was at a beauty salon. score!

and it gets better

i asked her to buy me some of that stuff and she said she already has it!

woo

so i have applied that shit and now ima grow my nails back out.

YEHA!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolo727 View Post
    ok guys I know alot of people use nails when playing the ukulele.

I am blessed because i am able to comfortabley pick with all 4 fingers but it is also a curse because my nails are brittle.

I bought fake nails and im going to put them on when schools out because i get made fun of enough already for playing ukulele in Pennsylvania, so heres my quesiton.

what shape should i have my nails?

is there any way i can make them not look like fake nails?

in fact i just need to know pretty much everything about nails because i absolutely refuse to use a pick with a ukulele.

i dont have the coordination to use one either.

lol

can anyone help?
    i know how u feel, i get ragged on for playing uke here in South Carolina.

I have acrylics done because my nails are very thin and prone to tearing. After the first year on the guitar I broke down and did the nail salon thing. I tried acrylics and gels, and learned a bunch along the way. both gel and acrylics can look natural without any polish on them. Fills can be done every 2 weeks at 15$ a full set. Ask the tech to finish the tips with a touch of CA (super) glue as it minimizes the chance of the natural nail lifting from the acrylic at the nail tip. You can have the nail tech shape them however you want and they release off the string so cleanly. Personally I have far fewer hangnail than I ever have, and that is a big perk. You will also notice that by playing with nails your tone will brighten up significantly when you play.

None of the department store lotions and potions did much to help but I went with acrylics over gels and here's why.

Acrylic has the ability to hold up to wear over a longer period and more stiff. That extra stiffness means they are less likely to lift off your natural nail due to flex from playing.

Shape: I fare best with a modified taper which means it's pretty round along the whole body but the very tip i flatten out a bit. That's primarly due to the fact I play on the edge of my finger not perpendicular.
    Last edited by allinfun; 02-05-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information