Pono Baritone - Acacia vs Mahogany

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Been toying with the idea of getting a baritone. After much consideration, thought that the sound/quality/price ratio of the Pono's might suit me best.
I was listening to the demos on HMS for the Pono Mahogany and Acacia baritones. The mahogany demo didn't sound very good, very boomy, not clear, whereas the demo on the acacia model was deep, full and rich....I loved it....but.....not sure the mahogany demo was a fair comparison. Anyone played/heard both? Does the acacia model sound as good as it does in the demo? Want to use it as my surrogate "blues guitar" for delta blues and such.

It's just the demo. Never played an acacia Pono Baritone, but the Mahogany is very good. Has a very nice tone.

Been toying with the idea of getting a baritone. After much consideration, thought that the sound/quality/price ratio of the Pono's might suit me best.
I was listening to the demos on HMS for the Pono Mahogany and Acacia baritones. The mahogany demo didn't sound very good, very boomy, not clear, whereas the demo on the acacia model was deep, full and rich....I loved it....but.....not sure the mahogany demo was a fair comparison. Anyone played/heard both? Does the acacia model sound as good as it does in the demo? Want to use it as my surrogate "blues guitar" for delta blues and such.

I went for the mahogany over the acacia and have not regretted it. Listen to what Aaron says when he starts the MB sample on HMS. I paraphrase but it is essentially "Wow, what a great instrument". Saying that I wasn't keen on the Ko'olau strings, they could be contributing to the "boomy" tone you mention, particularly the low notes. I also found the 1st and 2nd strings to be very thick. I have since used Living Water strings and Southcoast's in both re-entrant and linear tunings and it sounds lovely with all. Maybe linear Living Waters would suit you for your blues?

Top Bottom