Chord Harmonica

pabrizzer

Reaction score
I have one passed on to me from my dad.
There are also bass harmonicas.
Dad would sometimes play in harmonica quartets playing either chromatic harmonica or the chord harmonica. There was a guy who would play the bass.
Here is a picture of the chord harp with a standard blues harp for size reference.
P1000049.jpg

That's cool! I had no idea such an instrument existed.

JJ

I have Hohner special 20's in different keys. That harmonica you have is amazing! That thing is huge!

I remember seeing one of the "Harmonicats" play a huge ????? Bass Chromatic? It was about 14" long by 4" x 4" and looked like it weighed a few pounds. It was amazng.

Chord harmonica

Yes indeed, that's a hohner chord harmonica, 23.5 inches long. It really is a wonderful instrument. There are lots of youtube videos of chord harmonicas. Most of the good players can read music, so that leaves me out.

Those are so cool. I would love to get my hands on a bass harmonica - ( pm if you want to sell.)

Very cool! I inherited my father's Hohner 64 Chromonica, a 4 chromatic octave harmonica. Not quite as large, about 7.5 inches long, but still a draws some looks.
--G

Yeah, I remember those big harmonicas. A very well known musician is the son of one of the Harmonicats. His name is John Sebastian. I know some of you old-times and even not so old remember him. He composed the theme to Welcome Back Kotter and was one of the members of The Loving Spoonful. He has one of the best dvds available on playing the harmonica.

Very cool!:shaka:

I just sold off my button box collection and regraded to a set of BluesBand harps, in seven keys. I played harmonica when I was in grade school, but with the button box experience (an $1800 experiment, which I can play well btw), I am really good at the harp, especially in the Celtic and folk music that I session with. They are the model with a little less volume and spunk, which goes well with smallpipes and folk sessions. Happy Honkin'!

Top Bottom