Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since the recent survey proves that 50% of uke players love Satin finishes...

Default Since the recent survey proves that 50% of uke players love Satin finishes...

Do any of you satin lovers have any opinions about satin finishes and the durability of softer soundboards, specifically cedar?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeloceanmoon View Post
    Do any of you satin lovers have any opinions about satin finishes and the durability of softer soundboards, specifically cedar?
    Don't know about cedar, I only own mahogany. But the one uke I have had that was gloss started to show fine scratches which I thought were most unattractive. My satin finishes still look great.
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Cedar and spruce are the most popular tops for classical guitars. Preferred finish is usually French polish, which is considered delicate.

Properly cared for, softer woods can live a long and happy life without the need for a heavy coat of gloss on them.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme View Post
    Cedar and spruce are the most popular tops for classical guitars. Preferred finish is usually French polish, which is considered delicate.

Properly cared for, softer woods can live a long and happy life without the need for a heavy coat of gloss on them.
    My satin cedar-topped guitar looked well loved within a year... Honestly, though, I don't think gloss finish is going to help a lot in protecting soft wood unless the finish is very thick - and then you might as well have a plastic top...

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    My satin cedar-topped guitar looked well loved within a year... Honestly, though, I don't think gloss finish is going to help a lot in protecting soft wood unless the finish is very thick - and then you might as well have a plastic top...

John
    Agreed. BTW, does anyone know the percentage of guitars are finished in satin? I think they are predominantly glossy. Ever seen a satin finished violin?
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Scratches and patina are good. If you disagree, look at Willie Nelson's guitar, Trigger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr...lie_Nelson.jpg

Last edited by chris667; 01-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.

The survey only proves that over 50% of the people who participated in the survey prefered satin finish. Overall, I'd say gloss might be a little more popular based on our sales.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    The survey only proves that over 50% of the people who participated in the survey prefered satin finish. Overall, I'd say gloss might be a little more popular based on our sales.
    And only 43% of people surveyed believe in surveys.

I do satin nitro over a nice hard and tough polyester base coat, so soft woods are protected as well as with a gloss finish. Hence you have to really define the parameters better than just saying satin or gloss. You can have a gloss finish that doesn't protect well...French polish...or you can have a satin finish that protects well...satin urethane or nitro over poly base.

But my dealers prefer gloss finishes as being an easier sell. And I do this for a living, so guess what I do the most of...

I like to look of satin. Less finger prints. I know that most of my satin ukes where not finished like Rick's. They have both needed pick guards, but they are both spruce tops also.
    I have found that for many Gloss = high end. I have also heard that satin is thinner, but not always true. Rick demonstrated that it depends on the application and finishes for durability for either.
    I love my kanilea gloss 8-string, it is purdy, but ukes I have control over the finish I have done satin. it is a personal taste.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Thread Information