10th, 11th and 12th frets sound the same

Dimanzee

Reaction score
Hello, folks!

I got myself a Lanikai LU-21 and I like it, but there is a slight problem

The sound on 10, 11 and 12 frets are the same.

What is the reason?

Thanks in advance

The sound on 10, 11 and 12 frets are the same.
What is the reason?
If the string is fretted properly, I'd say this is impossible for technical reasons - a shorter string will have a different frequency. Not much, but still a noticeable half tone.
My first guess would be your (probably musically untrained?) ear.
You could verify this with a chromatic tuner (any will do, even smartphone apps).

That could be possible if those frets are badly set and you have a very low action - ie when you fret at the tenth, the string actually touches the fret two or three further up the neck

That could be possible if those frets are badly set and you have a very low action - ie when you fret at the tenth, the string actually touches the fret two or three further up the neck

That was my thought, too. Either a high fret or significant backbow on the neck. Either one will require repair. If the instrument is new, I would suggest asking the dealer for a replacement.

Re:

Many thanks to you guys, but I'm not quite sure if you got me

I'm gonna record a video and you'll see what I mean

Did you mean when you hold the tenth you get the same note on a string as you get on the 11th and 12th? If so, i got what you mean!

10, 11, 12 must all stop the string on fret 12.

That's exactly it

So what is probably happening is that when you press down on the 10th fret, the string is stopping at the 12th fret, either because the 12th fret is too high, or there is significant backbow to the neck. Either reseating, replacing, or filing the frets so they are the proper height is a straightforward job for a professional, although the cost of doing so could might be a high percentage of the cost of your Lanikai. A backbowed neck might be correctable if the instrument has a truss rod, might be a huge problem if it doesn't (and even if it does). In both cases, if this is a new instrument, it should be repaired or replaced under warranty, as the problem is a defect.

That's exactly it

In which case the problem is as we described - either the frets are too high and misplaced or the neck is bowed or mis set in the ukulele.

I would almost suggest the action being way too low, but if that was the case you would get buzzing strings all over the place. Either way it needs a repair or a replacement, and for the money a LU21 costs, I would suggest the latter.

In which case the problem is as we described - either the frets are too high and misplaced or the neck is bowed or mis set in the ukulele.

I would almost suggest the action being way too low, but if that was the case you would get buzzing strings all over the place. Either way it needs a repair or a replacement, and for the money a LU21 costs, I would suggest the latter.

Can I repair it myself?

P.S. Love you folks, It's the first forum where my questions get answers with such speed and involvement

If you have experience then theoretically yes, but it's a big job for a luthier

If its the frets set badly, they need filing down, but you may not find that does enough.

If its a bowed neck or Mis set neck you need to be taking the whole thing apart. I'll be honest with you though - on a uke of that price I'd question whether its worth it. Put another way, if you paid a luthier to do it he would likely charge more than the instrument cost, and likely say same thing - is it worth it?

I'd take it to the dealer, if you try it yourself you will void whatever warranty or chance of replacement it has, and usually even if it lacks a warranty you dealer should be able to sort something out.

Maluhia.

I agree here. Leveling frets or resetting is not something to be attempted for the first time. A neck reset would cost more than the uke is worth. Your best bet would be a warranty replacement if possible.

Thanks for your advices, folks!

I love my ukulele so much I can't leave her like that :))))

Seriously, I consider giving it back to dealer for a proper change, but the problem is that I live in Russia and bought the uke here

I'm not sure about Lanikai warranty availability here :)

Well, I'll give it a shot

Peace be with you all

The dealer should replace it for you if it was defective when you bought it. Let them deal with Lanikai.

Oh, wait. When you said "bought it here" where is "here?" Do you mean it'll involve shipping it overseas? You'll probably have to at least cover the shipping one way.

You should be able to sight down the neck and see if it's flat all the way down its length. My guess is you'll find a "hump" where it joins the body (12th fret?)

If the neck looks flat, you can use something short and straight like the edge of a credit card and check fret leveling three frets at a time. If one fret is high, the card will rock rather than sit flat. If the neck is flat and it's just a high fret, it should be easy to repair unless leveling would mean filing the fret down to near nothingness.

Top Bottom