15cm vs. 20cm?

jbeattie

Reaction score
this could be a dumb question (answer: 5cm!), but what is the difference between 15cm and 20cm? Im looking to get a concert size uke and i see a lot of 20cm and 15cm. i currently have a soprano uke (makala mk-c) and am looking for one slightly bigger. my friend has a uke that's a big larger and i find it easier (and louder) to play because the frets are wider.

can anyone help me out? thanks!

ps: while im at at -- do you recommend the Cordoba concert uke? i am bouncing back from ordering a Cordoba or Oscar Schmidt ...

thanks
John, uke player since April/2012

If you're looking at Cordobas, the 15 CM is the model number for their all laminate mahogany concert sized uke. The 20 CM is the model number for their solid top, laminate mahogany back and sides concert uke.

ETA: are you sure your makala is a soprano? If the model number is mk-c, I'd think that's concert size. I thought their soprano was mk-s?

sorry, meant mk-s. i was looking at one on Ebay that was MK-C

so the 15 cm and 20 cm have nothing to do with the size?

CM for Corboba means "Concert Mahogany", not cm as in centimeters.

I see nothing in typical Ukulele nomenclature that would match up with either 15 or 20 centimeters. Inches, yes. Centimeters, no.

The 15CM is one of the best all laminate concert ukes I've heard and often sell well below the average price of $99. I had a solid mahogany topped tenor that impressed the hell out of me. I gave it to my grand daughter, otherwise I had planned on upgrading the tuners and installing a bone nut and saddle.

thanks all!

much appreciated. I am having a blast playing/learning the uke... tough to tell my friends how and why it's the best hobby i've ever picked up. couldnt recommend it more to everyone who asks!

is anyone has any input on solid concert ukes within $150, i'm all ears! def. going to toss some aquila strings on whatever i buy

thanks all!

much appreciated. I am having a blast playing/learning the uke... tough to tell my friends how and why it's the best hobby i've ever picked up. couldnt recommend it more to everyone who asks!

is anyone has any input on solid concert ukes within $150, i'm all ears! def. going to toss some aquila strings on whatever i buy

I recommend the KPK solid mahogany concert here: http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=72. I recently purchased the solid mahogany soprano and it is a very nice sounding instrument that compares well to instruments costing much more. The set up is top notch. You can read my review on that web site under the mahogany soprano. The owner offers a $15.00 PayPal discount so the price will come in very close to your budget.

If you look you can sometimes find Pono MC seconds for near $150. I found one for $170 but that deal is gone now.

Im looking to get a concert size uke and i see a lot of 20cm and 15cm. i currently have a soprano uke (makala mk-c) and am looking for one slightly bigger. my friend has a uke that's a big larger and i find it easier (and louder) to play because the frets are wider.
In the beginning, the concert scale indeed has that tiny bit of extra space to make you feel more comfortable. But pretty soon you will realize that a soprano scale is not that small at all - it just needs a bit more time to get used to. Practicing helps in any case....

I've played and owned both OS and Cordoba...I like the Cordoba way better...

I recommend the KPK solid mahogany concert here: http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=72. I recently purchased the solid mahogany soprano and it is a very nice sounding instrument that compares well to instruments costing much more. The set up is top notch. You can read my review on that web site under the mahogany soprano. The owner offers a $15.00 PayPal discount so the price will come in very close to your budget.
I agree with this recommendation, I bought one of these a couple of years ago when they were marketed under the Melokia brand and it's been one of my favorites since the day I got it. Nice build and good set up, and I'm glad to see they come with Worths as I've found them to be the best fit for this uke. A very nice uke for the money, and the gigbag mine came with was a pretty good one too, but I keep mine in a hard case with a humidifier since I'm in the high desert.

Last edited:
Some promising "budget" all solid ukes coming from a new company called ASMUS...check them out. ON their sound clip, their solid acacia concert model sounded almost exactly like my KPK concert.

I have a KPK Tenor and really love it. Am thinking of perhaps getting a KPK concert, or a Gretsch concert (solid mahogany). My husband's Gretsch is a dream to play. I am wanting a solid mahogany uke. I've read some good reviews on Cordoba and OS ukes. I was researching OS ukes when I landed on the Gretsch roots line.

Top Bottom