Vintage Collectors: Cracks?

If we are talking about vintage koa and mahogany ukes, please do not use Titebond original or Titebond 2 for any repair work. The only glue that should be used is hot hide glue for those instruments. Many is the time I have had to remove bad glue from poor repairs. If you want to glue your import back together, I don't care what you use, but please not on vintage ukes.

Yes! Do NOT use Titebond II on anything other than an exterior door. And don't use Titebond I on any vintage instrument for anything. I won't even allow the stuff into my shop. Hot hide glue, please. And if you or your luthier don't know how to use it, find someone who does.

And please don't give lutherie advice if you're advocating the use of Titebond II. You just don't know what you're doing.

BTW, all of the body joints in our Compass Rose ukes are done with HHG. It's slightly more difficult than with modern glues, but there is a long list of why it is still the best, especially for acoustically sensitive glue joints and also for repairs.

Also, if you're just getting into collecting, you should know that all serious collectors buy ukes in just about every condition level possible and then wind up trading up. That's how you build a collection. If all you want to purchase is perfect instruments, you'd better have very deep pockets.

Properly repaired cracks are not a big deal on a vintage uke to me. Koa especially is prone to crack, a little hot hide glue (not the fake stuff in a bottle) and some alignment & clamping and you are good to go.

The ones I don't like are the repairs done with additonal wood like splints, fills, or cleats. I look at that as a last resort for an instrument that can't be brought into alignment, or maybe the work of someone less skilled.

I know, an old topic, but very interesting to read what everyone thinks.

Top Bottom