Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Uke Leashes?

Default Homemade Uke Leashes?

Does anyone have any homemade uke leashes / straps? Mind sharing pictures? I know the uke leash is pretty popular but 1. I'm poor. 2. I don't even have my uke yet LOL, but for future reference ya'know. 3. I want something more my style instead of just black.

I just want to see what people have done and what kind of patterns people have used along with materials. So, share your creations whether they look professional or not! Heh.

I just bought 5 or 6 of them as cheap as they are. You would probably spend more on materials and time spent making one then if you just bought one.

It's not very stylish, but a long boot lace or shoe string would work or even a long piece of cordage of any type. The Ukeleash itself though would be much easier to use if you are having to remove it and put it on frequently.
    John Glover
    Naperville, IL

Koalana Soprano KSA-00
    Islander MS-4
    Islander MSC-4
    Pono MC
    Lanikai LU-22CGC
    Pono PT-6E

An older gentleman that comes to my uke group has one made out of an old neck tie. His wife stitched the bottom loop for him. I don't have any other information or pictures but at least you know a neck tie is long enough and they are dirt cheap at thrift stores if you don't already have one at home.

Nix

I use a lanyard with a hook I dug up from a friend's project box:

Quote Originally Posted by Markr1 View Post
    I just bought 5 or 6 of them as cheap as they are. You would probably spend more on materials and time spent making one then if you just bought one.
    As usual, I agree with Mark.

If you order four, there's a 20% discount. (click tab at bottom of this page)
    http://www.ukeleash.com/
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

@nix: I never thought about using a tie, but that makes sense! There are lots of neat looking ties around I bet they'd look great.

@Captain Simian: That looks great! A lanyard is a good idea, and one I also didn't think of!

@ Markr1 & coolkayaker1: I actually have a lot of materials so the actual cost wouldn't be too much, especially with awesome selection at thrift stores (you can find some cool stuff!) As mentioned I also want to make my own so it can have a pattern on the material or something instead of just a solid color strap, if that makes sense? Supporting the uke leash and buying from there is awesome as I have heard only good things, but I want something more than just a solid color. I was thinking about using cotton material and folding it / sewing it to fit right.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

I use these:

http://ukethong.com/

Now I REALLY blushed when I found this on my search for "Uke Thong":

http://www.cafepress.com/+uke_player...hong,544545913

The Uke Leash already covered the ground you are looking to cover. Strikes me as silly to over it again. That said, a quick search of the UU archive will show you where everyone else went before Lori came along and solved the problem.
    Harold O.

www.HOPublishing.com
    www.WestHillsWood.com
    Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.

@ricdoug: Haha, that second link! That's too funny.

@Bill1: That's a good recommendation about belts. I always look at thrift store belts thinking of things to use them for!

@Harold O.: I don't really see it as silly since I want to make something out of fabric I find "cute." I'm a very crafty person so anything I can do myself I like to do as it puts more of a "me" spin on things I suppose. I also did search before I asked but only found minimal threads. Just wanted to see what other people were using and get ideas is all.

Thread Information