Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Sound test # 5

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Sound test # 6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pdxuke

Reaction score
Okay Martin fans, time to have some fun.

Which Martin do you prefer? Complete the poll, then see if you can guess 1 to 6 which is which.

SIX STRUM TESTS

I recently bought some new Martin ukes:

Martin S-1 (Mexico)
Martin 2 (USA--New Build)
Vintage 30s-50s Style 1M
Vintage 1948 Style 0

BUT...

I did SIX TESTS. Tricky, huh?

That means--duplicates. Can you tell which is which?

NOTE: It's supposed to be a BLIND TEST. I was asked for fun to make it a test where you have to guess. So I'll reveal the secret later!

https://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/name-that-martin

1. LISTEN
2. VOTE FOR FAVORITE
3. Come back and make a post guessing which is which.

Last edited:
That's the point. I was asked to do a test where you have to guess. So first, see which uke you prefer by sound. Blind guess. Then match up from the list above.

This is epic!!!

I've already listened to them all once, but want to sleep on it. I'll listen again tomorrow, clicking between samples, when I have a fresh "thinking cap" on. After the vote of personal preference, I'll try my darndest to get the six right...I'd probably select the new 2M as the prize if I win, even though I have one. Man, this contest is fab; very generous of you, pdx! Okay, let me sleep on it for now.

This is epic!!!

I've already listened to them all once, but want to sleep on it. I'll listen again tomorrow, clicking between samples, when I have a fresh "thinking cap" on. After the vote of personal preference, I'll try my darndest to get the six right...I'd probably select the new 2M as the prize if I win, even though I have one. Man, this contest is fab; very generous of you, pdx! Okay, let me sleep on it for now.

Oh, I GET IT NOW! Suggest that I have this poll, then bait and switch it into a contest (hahaha.) Please don't confuse the other children into thinking this is a contest.

But Ok: here's the deal, made only to YOU, Steve: If you can correctly ID all 6 samples, I'll send you a pack of Martin 600 strings. :)

lol, funny, Thom. I'm just joshing. Everybody, I'm just joshin' on the contest! You needn't send me strings. Why?> There's no way in Sam Heck that I'm going to get them right.

No, my friend PDX is not running a contest, but what I still think is epic! Thanks for recording those. Man. I might even have to put on headphones when I click between them tomorrow (and please, for the love of God and all small animals, don't tell us that all six are the same, as pauldecember suggested in the last thread...lol. That'd be downright cruel).

You da man, this will be revealing. And, you are a wicked good player, too. Very very strong. Nice.

I liked 5 the best and there is no way I can tell what is what as I don't own or haven't played enough Martin sopranos...I'm too lazy to go back to your original thread to figure out what is what.

as a uke beginner, just guessing
#1 is S1, #2 is SO, #3 is 1M, #4 is M2, and #5 is M2 as well, and #6 is 1M again! hehe, just guess!

I like number 5 the best. I think that's the vintage Style 1. If it is the S1, I'm going to have huge doubts about the universe...then I'll buy one.

:agree: ...with sentence #1 and sentence #3. The first few times through, I liked clip #2, but then clip #5 started to grow on me. I have no idea which is which.

Last edited:
I will have a guess at it. It is my belief that clip #s 1, 2, 5, and 6 are the vintage ukes. And that clips 3 and 4 are the new Martins. I don't know which is which. I am thinking possibly that clips 1 and 6 are the same uke, and that 2 and 5 are the same.
If I were to go out on a limb.......and I have not a clue.......;
Clips 1 and 6 = Style 1
Clips 2 and 5 = Style 0

.....and maybe
Clip 3 = S1
Clip 4 = Style 2 ?
This is a great thread. Thank you for sharing your Martins.
Guess I can wait for the results :).

I like #4 best followed by #2. Looking forward to the reveal!

Wow. That was a tough test. All of them sounded so good. I'm guessing 3 must be the newer No. 2.
Think my favorite was 1.

Thanks for making this test. These are always a lot of fun.

Last edited:
My quick guess:
1: 1M
2: modern 2
3: modern S1
4: modern 2 again
5: 48 style O
6: 1M again

But basically they're all great!

Edit: I like #5 best

I like #3 best but I can't even begin to guess which is which.

Is that you singing in the clip right after the test? I liked that.

Top Bottom