47th Season of the Ukulele: Get to Work!

Uke4ia - The Sealer Lad (bonus)- A fine and interesting contribution, Jim. First, it's a different style, the slower story song; second, it was a gently strummed song you might sing at at an intimate gathering (different for you); and third, it was about something very few people know about. The tune was nice, and I kept looking at your armadillolele. I'd guess that it's possible that armadillo and seal consciousness could meet somewhere on the astral plane.

watchyourtoes - Grievance - It's good to see you back, and playing a banjolele this time (are you still building instruments?). Your singing was smooth and easy for a fast-singing song, but the banjolele overweighted your voice some, and I listened twice to get more of the lyrics. It doesn't sound like a nice place to work and the songwriter was heartily sick of being reamed out by the boss. There might be more than one place that has "bitching and complaining, excuses and explaining."
Please enter the Seasons more often!

myrnaukulele - Working 9 to 5 (bonus)- I had this on my list of songs I wanted to hear this week, and it needed you to bring it life. Very nice contrast to your entry, and well played on your little uke.

pootsie - Practicing Law - "A little more practice and I'll get it right"—that's pretty funny. This is a great contribution—an upbeat song about a career that isn't like it is on TV, and with a whistling section. (What do you mean, the girls don't swoon like they're supposed to?) Nicely played, though you're relegated to...where is that? It's under your book-lined, wood-paneled law office, right?
Is this your first time for a Seasons post? The first-timers' invisibility cloak would come in handy for you.

I love hosting a Seasons week---it's so much fun getting to know you better!

We had an interesting array of songs for the 47th Season---45 entries and 28 bonuses (including four first-time posters!). I yearned to hear a rousing "Come, Mr. Tally Man, tally me bananas...," but there were some wonderful song choices here, many of which were new to me.
***Please check that your song is on the correct list, and PM me if you have a question.***

If anyone wants to post these or other work tunes, I'll be glad to put them in the bonus list:
Richard Cory, Maggie's Farm, Working on the Highway, Working in a Coal Mine, Chain Gang, I'm Fixing a Hole, Aloha Friday No Work Till Monday

Now the judging begins...

MrT and I will retire to the Judges' Chambers, which has a screening room with surround sound and comfy seats that rock (a lot of people don't know that). We may open a bottle of wine. We will watch and listen, weigh and confer, and perhaps finish the bottle of wine.

Sometimes I have trouble locating the pitch when singing, but MrT has an excellent ear and has been chord-melody playing almost daily for six years https://www.box.com/shared/62477073d01fc5c0bbe6.
We'll be evaluating the whole effect of each participant's performance.

Now I'm closing the door and turning on the Jeopardy contemplation music: doo de doo, dodo doo de doo...

Thanks, Ginny. Forgot some lyrics at the end, but I don't do retakes if I make it all the way through a song whole recording (I'm afraid it'll make me not try as hard to get it right the first time.) Also, the strumming in that song really puts a beating on my right arm since in not conditioned to strumming that fast.

And yes, I'm still building instruments. Just finished my fourth electric uke, a spalted maple strat copy, for a fellow UU member who me helped to organize our area's first little ukulele festival over the summer. Currently working on a tamboulele, a fretless U bass (22" scale, magnetic and piezo pickups,) and a few custom guitar parts for friends.

Hey, Ginny, have two bottles of wine. I can't speak for anyone else, but my videos are definitely better after More Wine. Don't ask how I know that. (Also, in related news, I've recently learned that after two glasses of wine I think I can speak French. Good to know. After three glasses I fall asleep. Even better to know.)

Last edited:
thanks for everyone's kind comments on Youtube and Ginny's critique, here, it is good to be back.

I love I yearned to hear a rousing "Come, Mr. Tally Man, tally me bananas...,"
Ginny - I nearly did it - I really did! Chickened out........:D It's been a super week! You're a great host - so much detail in your responses to the music! Super stuff!

So at the last possible moment, here is my original tune, "Practicing Law."
Federal courts let you file up until midnight, too. Which means I file at midnight.

Hah, hah - that was great. I've always loved that they call it "practicing law" and "practicing medicine." Several years ago I was at my cadiologist's office for an annual checkup. They did all the bloodwork and everything right in house and give you a copy of the results and put the other in your chart, and there was a GP that did the initial pep talk after your blood tests, before the cardiologist would come in for his 30-second evaluation. Anyway, the GP comes into the exam room and she's going on and on and on and on about diabetes and how sometimes it can be controlled with diet and exercise but sometimes we need medication, yada, yada, and so on. Finally I interrupted her and said, "excuse me, but can you explain to me why you seem so obsessed with diabetes, what am I overlooking in these results because they look really good to me?"

"But you're on Zocor, right?" she replied.

"Yes, but that's for cholesterol."

"Are you sure," she asked as she dipped into a pocket of her scrubs and pulled out a pocket guide. "Oh, you're right!"

I looked at her as sweetly and innocently as possible and said, "Well, that's why they call it practicing medicine."

She had the graced to turn about seven shades of pink...and I bet she never forgets what Zocor is prescribed for... LOL

John

THE RESULTS

The 47th Season's work song challenge attracted 46 songs to review, plus 28 bonuses.
Here are our three winners, in alphabetical order:

Jazzbanjorex - Kansas City Star - This was a fun song that you made very lively with good energy and scatting. Your playing had good variety and you sang with a twinkle in your eye. Your voice level was well balanced against the banjolele, which gave a retro feel that suited the song very well.

theonlyukethatmatters - Manic Monday - Your lighting designer did you an injustice, but the remarkable playing lifted you to the top three. Your playing was polished, yet relaxed and easy, with flourishes and a knock. You also "sold" the song well—your personality was evident and you always knew the message of what you were singing.

thesillydave - Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? - In an austere-looking video, you invested yourself completely in the song. It was evocative and poignant, which is what the song calls for, and there were strong changes of dynamic that tugged at our emotions. It was balanced by equally good playing.

Prizes
The Southcoast Ukes website (http://www.southcoastukes.com/) is revamped and up again now, and I have sent Dirk Wormhoudt the UU names of the winners with links to your songs.
You can order your free set of strings directly from him. Thanks a lot, Dirk! sales@southcoastukes.com.

Extra! We have four first-timers who posted this week!
As promised, invisibility cloaks will be PMed to greyghost, Hiddencross, wallyboy, and eor.
We look forward to more of your video posts.

Thanks, one and all. I had a great time hosting. —Ginny

Last edited:
The Seasonistas' Group Hug
is given to Kurt Siegel
for Meritorious Performance of a Song
that Revealed Deep Personal Meaning

"The Bravest" in the 47th Season of the Ukulele

The Seasonistas' Group Hug
is given to Kurt Siegel
for Meritorious Performance of a Song
that Revealed Deep Personal Meaning

"The Bravest" in the 47th Season of the Ukulele

Wow!

Thanks, Ginny. I appreciate this - but I couldn't have done this without Tom Paxton, who has been a major part of my life's soundtrack.
He puts in words what so many of the rest of us experience.

When I next see him (In May) I will share the hug.

Unless security gets there first. (g)

-Kurt​

another wow! thanks ginny and Mr T! i liked how my song came out, but with so many other great songs, i really wasn't expecting to place!
a great turn out from new and regular seasonistas! congrats to everyone once again!
side note....i wonder how many people have joined in at least one season over the past year? anyone have a clue?

Kurt, that was very moving and took a lot to share I am sure. Thank you very much for the song and the thoughts and the brave deeds and the memory of those who served.

Really, this was an exceptional week. Ginny, you were the hostess with the mostess!! Great theme, and wonderful song entries by the whole crew:)
Congrats to all the winners. And I'm proud to be part of the group hug Kurt.

Congrats all, and thanks for a great week Ginny- what fun we had.
High point..,yeah, Kurt. We won't ever forget that.
Bless you all Seasonistas
Dave

Congrats all, and thanks for a great week Ginny- what fun we had.
High point..,yeah, Kurt. We won't ever forget that.
Bless you all Seasonistas
Dave
totally agreed Dave, that will go down as a special moment in seasons folklore. Ginny, thankyou for going the extra mile for us this week, it was a ripper and much of that can be attributed to you. :)

THE RESULTS
Here are our three winners, in alphabetical order:

Jazzbanjorex, theonlyukethatmatters, thesillydave

HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to the winners and a BIG warm hug to Kurt Siegel :agree:

Thanks, one and all. I had a great time hosting. —Ginny

Ginny, your party was amazing - thank you for inviting all of us and for your graciousness.

Congratulations worthy winners!!!
And a big round of applause for Ginny for an excellent season :worship:

Top Bottom