Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your invitation to the Seasons of the Ukulele!

You're getting good advice here.
    If you tell me where you are in the world I'll tell when it's a good time to introduce your new season. And I'll certainly PM you in the week before and keep in touch as your season approaches. A quirk of the seasons is that it all revolves around Hawaii time and goes for 8 days.
    Just tell us what sort of songs you want us to bring and how many. There are usually around 40ish participants - so use that number to know how many songs you think you can listen to and set your limit accordingly.
    Certainly no need for prizes but some sort of closure for the season is always appreciated. All up to you as host.
    Really no need to worry.
    Any specific questions - just ask and you'll get a response as you can see.....

Quote Originally Posted by aspieman456 View Post
    Yes, I am super nervous about hosting, but I'm more nervous about doing everything right. Do I give out prizes or NOT, am I critiqueing right? Or more? Is the theme right or not challenging enough? My brain is in a panic.
    Hi Aspieman,

Don't stress.

I like to give out small prizes (usually souvenirs from where I live) but there is no need to. Nobody will be upset either way.

As for the judging criteria for prizes, most people just draw names out of a hat because it's really really hard to decide, but if you want to award prizes based on your own judgment, that's fine too.

With regard to comments, just be nice and the rest doesn't matter. Remember that people's playing and singing ability varies wildly but they (we) are all contributing to the best of their (our) ability and trying to make the whole thing fun and enjoyable. As a warm up, why not try commenting on as many people's videos as you can in a season that you aren't hosting? Everyone loves receiving comments

As for the theme, again, it doesn't matter. There have been themes where I have really struggled to come to grips with the content (Who is Buffy Saint Marie and what is Bluegrass, anyway?) and some that have been ridiculously easy (I mean every song that's worth playing was written in the 1980s and 1990s, right?). Either way I've had fun with them.

I've also posted a link to a tutorial that Linda made about creating playlists, etc. It helped me when I hosted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plprrAWxpEA

Ha, ha, - I was trembling the first time I hosted - so I know where you're coming from.

Once you get the theme posted & add a couple of comments to the first videos you start to relax, so don't fret it.

If you do find you are having any problems, just shout out, & we'll all help you out.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I'm hoping everything goes well here, and thank you guys for the advise, you guys. Limiting to one or two songs is a good idea so I'm not very overwhelmed. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca., Standard Pacific time.
    Last edited by aspieman456; 07-04-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aspieman456 View Post
    I'm hoping everything goes well here, and thank you guys for the advise, you guys. Limiting to one or two songs is a good idea so I'm not very overwhelmed. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca., Standard Pacific time.
    The time to post your season theme would be around 5:00pm on Saturday (July 28) and the season would start at 3:00am on the Sunday (July 29).

First ever submission, though love SOTU. Don't think anyone has done "Dancing in the Dark" yet? Also not sure I'm submitting right!

helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo! that ideally needs to go on the thread for that season - go here https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...36#post2122536 and post again and you'll be all good!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Welcome haberkow. BEV gives you good advice.

And Lynda, sorry about leaving you off the playlist. I’ve remedied it and hope you will be able to find it in your heart to forgive me.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

thank you andy!! but i can't forgive you - because i was never cross about it!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Thread Information