Best Ukulele for fingerstyle?

drose

Reaction score
I was wondering what the best uke would be for fingerstyle. I'm a guitarist pretty new to the uke. And after I pay off my last guitar purchase, I would like to purchase a uke with a wider and longer neck for fingerstyle. The last uke I bought was a kanilea concert, and while the sound was amazing the neck was super hard to play on due to its small size. Any experience with ukes that have larger necks, probably tenor size, that are a good transition for a fingerstyle guitarist?

You need to get a tenor or baritone uke. A Kanile'a or Pono tend to have a wider neck.

I can only speak for KoAlohas. I loved the neck on mine. Which means you probably wouldn't like it. It was kinda thin.

You might checkout the Kamaka HF-3 longneck tenor. I'm a guitar player and the tenor fits me fine. I don't like the necks on concerts or sopranos.

You might checkout the Kamaka HF-3 longneck tenor. I'm a guitar player and the tenor fits me fine. I don't like the necks on concerts or sopranos.

Check out
www.gryphonstrings.com

i think they still have one in stock..

sorry it is already sold..i was just there 12/31..wow

Last edited:
I have a bunch of ukes (Hawaiian and other higher end pieces) and recommend you look into a Maui Music tenor or super concert. I have a Maui Music tenor and I've always felt it is the perfect finger style player; which is unfortunate since I'm not too good in that respect. The thing is so alive, so much so that I honestly think it is unreal. I love it. Nice wide and somewhat thicker neck, too. The problem is they're harder to come by, but if you do find one the prices are in-line with the other Hawaiian ukuleles. Peter Lieberman is the luthier and he's pretty well revered for his work. Just a suggestion...

http://youtu.be/hL1h6C0eseg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of ukes (Hawaiian and other higher end pieces) and recommend you look into a Maui Music tenor or super concert. I have a Maui Music tenor and I've always felt it is the perfect finger style player; which is unfortunate since I'm not too good in that respect. The thing is so alive, so much so that I honestly think it is unreal. I love it. Nice wide and somewhat thicker neck, too. The problem is they're harder to come by, but if you do find one the prices are in-line with the other Hawaiian ukuleles. Peter Lieberman is the luthier and he's pretty well revered for his work. Just a suggestion...

If you want a Maui Music Gryphon has these also..i am not a salesperson for Gryphon..but looks like it doesn't it Ha ha

It's a matter of practice and adaptation rather than the uke. I played guitar long before uke and did a lot of fingerstyle. When I first started on uke I liked the wider necks of the Kanilea due to wanting more room. However, the uke is just different. All things being equal I prefer a slightly wider neck for time when I'm using a low g. However, overall I don't much care anymore - I just got used to the uke neck.

I was wondering what the best uke would be for fingerstyle. I'm a guitarist pretty new to the uke. And after I pay off my last guitar purchase, I would like to purchase a uke with a wider and longer neck for fingerstyle. The last uke I bought was a kanilea concert, and while the sound was amazing the neck was super hard to play on due to its small size. Any experience with ukes that have larger necks, probably tenor size, that are a good transition for a fingerstyle guitarist?[/QUO

If you measure the distance between the strings on your guitar, you will find that most ukes have a wider space between the strings than any 6 string guitar. Its not that you need a longer or wider neck, its that you need to adapt to the instrument you choose to play. Ukes are not guitars, so don't except them to be made like guitars.

It's a matter of practice and adaptation rather than the uke. I played guitar long before uke and did a lot of fingerstyle. When I first started on uke I liked the wider necks of the Kanilea due to wanting more room. However, the uke is just different. All things being equal I prefer a slightly wider neck for time when I'm using a low g. However, overall I don't much care anymore - I just got used to the uke neck.

If you measure the distance between the strings on your guitar, you will find that most ukes have a wider space between the strings than any 6 string guitar. Its not that you need a longer or wider neck, its that you need to adapt to the instrument you choose to play. Ukes are not guitars, so don't expect them to be made like guitars.
Bingo. As these two posts suggest, it's you, not the uke. It ain't guitar, so don't expect that wonderful alternating bass. You need to adapt to a hybrid sort of strum, fingerstyle. It can be done.

Edit, there was one uke, a custom Morton reso concert with a 1-1/4" nut that I found very inconvenient. But the standard nut width on most any uke is fine.

Last edited:
If you got the patience, get a custom order...A good luthier can make one to your likings...I say you need patience as most luthiers have a long waitlist. Good luck.

I agree, ukes are small -- it just takes getting used to. And then you get to do things you can't on guitar, like stretch from the 2nd to 9th fret.

The one aspect I would say does matter for fingerstyle is string spacing at the brigde (much more so than nut width). Most ukes are fine, but some run a little tight -- for example, every Kala I've played. They're not by any means impossible to fingerpick on, just takes a little more finesse.

I thought steel string guitar players are used to crowded necks! I play normal classical guitar, and the string-to-string distance of a 1 1/2 in. tenor neck is already unnecessarily wide for me. OTOH, wider necks suit smaller scale ukes like soprano better, IMO.

Thanks everyone!

This helped! Checked out all the ukes, but i think you're right. I just have to get used to it. The spacing got easier when i got it in my head that it wasn't any different then my guitar.:D

Thanks!

Top Bottom