addicted to chucking

aperseghin

Reaction score
Ok so as you may know im a new uke player as of christmas, and im addicted to chucking.. i have found that no matter what song im strumming i can throw a chuck in there somewhere and it just sounds more deliberate. Some songs i enjoy chucking

Im yours
melt with you
hey ya
brown eyed girl
illegal smile

is this normal? i find chucking comes naturally and it really adds to the sound of the strum patterns. maybe im just weird

I don't think you're weird, but I'm jealous. As with all things in life you have a balancer. I can't chuck to save my life! It's one strum that I haven't mastered yet, so I say good for you! :D

Not weird at all, I wish I could do it. I might have to take a whole day to practice chucking.

I can't do it very well. I can, but it just doesn't seem natural to me yet, and moving between doing chunks and normal strumming gets difficult but its all practice I guess. It's not something I've tried to use in a song I'm learning yet.

do you down chuck, or upchuck. I upchuck when I drink too much. haha. seriously, too much gets boring, but a little goes a long way and adds variety to strums. really effective on certain songs, like the ones you mentioned.

Greetings. It's great that you can chunk, but as has been said, it adds a beat that may not fit the song you are playing and may make them all sound alike.

Rule 1 - have fun. You can refine your playing style as you develop.

I love that strum. At first, once I figured out how to do it, I was doing it all the time... every song, multiple times per song, sometimes in ever measure. As Strumsilly said, too much of it will get boring, and I have definitely found that to be true. Heck, it got boring for me after a while. It really is an interesting strum to throw in strategic places in a song, but you definitely don't want to over-use it.

Dan

ill make a video this weekend and see if i can help the non-chucker

It is important to vary your strum during a song to add interest and flavor.
Older folks tend to get stuck in an DUDU rut and young folks get stuck in a chunking rut.
What tends to happen with either is every song you play tends to sound the same.
I like Gerald Ross, who says "think drummer" when strumming.

two of the easiest songs to play when i started were with chunks, five years time, and, i'm yours, i would use it as part of your playing like all the other techniques in uke playing, it does add flavour to playing

I just hate it when I miss a chuck. Makes a pretty bad sound. Sweet Home Alabama is a good one for practicing, just chuck after every every double downstroke.

If you wonder whether or not you're chunking too much...you are. ;)

I like Gerald Ross, who says "think drummer" when strumming.

I never heard that quote before but I love it. I was a drummer for a lot of years and never played anything else. When I play the uke with others I think of my role as the "rhythm-percussion" uke. Works great with a straight strummer/singer. And that suits me fine because I can't sing! When playing alone I'm trying to develop skill at chord melody type stuff.

I wish I could figure out how to chuck, chunk, which is it, anyhow -- both? I've watched a handful of videos on YT about how to do it, but still can't quite get the coordination down. Maybe one day, I'll finally figure it out -- I hope! If anyone knows of good instructional online vids/demos, please fire them my way -- thanks!

Top Bottom