Kanile'a K1 Tenor - Long Term Test

bazmaz

Reaction score
Nice review...and I wholeheartedly re: string choice. I tried my usual string favorites of Worth and PhD on my Kanilea but it sounded the best with Living Water. That is now the only strings I will use on that uke.

Ordered some Living Water strings for my K-2 based on the review. Thanks.

Baz, is there a block in the tail on your Uke ? I want to fit a strap button to my K1-T, but it sounds a lot more hollow than my Fender when I tap its arse.

I guess I will have to try LW strings too. Experiencing the same exact thing on my Kanilea. I wish Ken would have a distributor here in the states.

Yep, there's a block. Needs to be with two piece sides.

Nice review/update Bazmaz.

On my K1T I've settled on Worth clears (Low G). I've thought about ordering some Living Water strings. I think you've convinced me. Did you by chance try Worth clears? If so, and you remember, how did you think the compared to living water.

Thanks,
Chris

Nice review Barry. I have the K-1 Deluxe with the UV Finish which is the best finish I have on any of my ukes and couldn't agree with you more. I'm never selling mine. I too went through a lot of strings and settled on the Savarez on mine as Living Waters were just getting released and I wore out my first set of strings. I use LW on several of my ukes and just strung up my new KoAloah thin body tenor last night and that sucker chimes likes church bells with the high G on it. They are awesome strings in my opinion as well.

I think the workmanship is one of the cleanest and I don't think you can ever go wrong getting a Kanilea. Another top quality instrument where they have kept their QA process and not sacrificed quality for production.

Hiddencross - yep tried pretty much every brand available in UK and one or two I imported. All good, but none made it sing.

Worth clears were about the next best, and the ones I had settled on for several months before the Living Waters.

Thanks for kind comments. Trust you read the original review linked at start of the post too - it's good to have a uke that has continued to totally live up to expectations since that initial test.

Hiddencross - yep tried pretty much every brand available in UK and one or two I imported. All good, but none made it sing.

Worth clears were about the next best, and the ones I had settled on for several months before the Living Waters.

Thanks for kind comments. Trust you read the original review linked at start of the post too - it's good to have a uke that has continued to totally live up to expectations since that initial test.

In that case I will definitely be talking to Ken about getting some LW strings.

Also, your first review is one that helped nudge me towards Kanile'a when I was deciding between K brands.

Thanks again,
Chris

Nice review. Thank you for doing it. I have a Kanilea Concert. I have not tried the Living Water. But I understand the sentiment when the posters here say that a string change can make a wonderful sounding Kanilea into an Amazing sounding Kanilea. I have tried a wide variety of strings including the Savarez/D'Addario combo, which made the Kanilea sound wonderful. But the Orcas took the Kanilea to the Amazing sounding level. I have a Compass Rose also. It is strung with the Savarez combo and it sounds wonderful. But the Orcas on the CR didn't take it to amazing. So the Kanilea with Orcas is on the OMG Amazing level, and gets all the play. To prevent strum marks I put an iPhone lense protector, cut to fit, hard to see it there and protects the upper bout from scratching below the fret board. I'll be ordering some Living Water strings, to see if they keep the Kanilea at the Amazing level.

Thanks for the honest review. We all have our unique perspectives. I had (and sold) a K1-T several years ago, and agree that it is a beautifully crafted instrument with amazing koa, even on their "base" instrument. Mine had the glass finish that looked like it could withstand nearly any abuse I could subject it too. Did, regrettably get a few pinky nail marks in the top, and think your idea of putting a clear cell phone protector on the soundboard an excellent idea. When it first arrived, it had a wonderful, rich tone, which quickly faded as it aged in - may have been the strings or change of humidity (or both). Not bad by any means, but not as inspiring, either. But you know how the human brain has a way of settling into complacency pretty quickly. My other nit pick was that it seemed rather quiet (mellow) when strummed and compared it to my bargain, humble Vineyard soprano. Of course, a soprano, by nature, has a typically brighter sound which might be perceived as louder. A better assessment of tone and volume is to stand several feet in front of an instrument while someone else plays it. Anyway, wish the Living Waters strings had been available back then as they might have changed my opinion. I still miss that uke. :)

Last edited:
Nice review Barry. I have the K-1 Deluxe with the UV Finish which is the best finish I have on any of my ukes and couldn't agree with you more. I'm never selling mine. I too went through a lot of strings and settled on the Savarez on mine as Living Waters were just getting released and I wore out my first set of strings. I use LW on several of my ukes and just strung up my new KoAloah thin body tenor last night and that sucker chimes likes church bells with the high G on it. They are awesome strings in my opinion as well.

I think the workmanship is one of the cleanest and I don't think you can ever go wrong getting a Kanilea. Another top quality instrument where they have kept their QA process and not sacrificed quality for production.

Hmm - you say "another". Which others do you think have done, or not done that? Just curious.

I guess I will have to try LW strings too. Experiencing the same exact thing on my Kanilea. I wish Ken would have a distributor here in the states.
Just order directly from Ken, it's easy... no problem. I usually have to order my strings over the internet anyway. Even the big music stores in LA don't have many choices in ukulele strings.

–Lori

Just order directly from Ken, it's easy... no problem. I usually have to order my strings over the internet anyway. Even the big music stores in LA don't have many choices in ukulele strings.

–Lori

Yep Ken ships worldwide, both quickly and cheaply. They are great strings

Yep Ken ships worldwide...

Who is Ken and indeed these orcas and LW's sound like theyre worth trying out... i think i'm about ready to start experimenting with string combos

Top Bottom