New Uke Day - Maestro Mango Concert

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Saturday, January 12, 2013: It was 11:00 AM and my lazy butt was still in bed when I was awakened by a knock on my door. My first thought was “I’m not expecting company, so go away I’m not at home.” Then I remembered it might be my New Uke Day, so I bounced out of bed and ran to my front door, only to see the postman walking away with a large package under his arm. I yelled “Wait, I’m here!” The postman came back and I signed for my new Maestro Mango Concert ukulele, purchased from Terence at www.dreamukes.com.

(Hey, I'm telling this story, so it's about me okay?) :)

But WOW, where to start with this uke?

First of all, I have to sing the praises of Terence at dreamukes.com. Even though we're separated by 14 time zones, Terence provided awesome customer service throughout my purchase. He answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns immediately and completely. (I don't think he ever sleeps!) He also shipped the uke from Singapore to my front door in exactly 7 days, and it arrived in perfect condition! Plus, I've never seen such amazing packaging. The uke arrived in its hard case, inside a cardboard box, tightly stuffed with newspaper. Also, the ukulele case was tightly wrapped inside a plastic garbage bag, which was then wrapped inside a bunch of thick paper. It took me quite a while to finally unwrap the thing!

(BTW, Terence is a UU forum member whose screen name is pakhan.)

This Maestro Concert uke is absolutely beautiful! The body is solid Mango, with Cocobolo binding, and a bevel style cutaway. It has a sound port on the upper bout, and Grover geared tuners which are butter smooth.

The sound is extremely mellow, but not quiet by any means. It has plenty of volume, but the tone has that dreamy, creamy island sound that makes me imagine I'm strumming Hawaiian songs under a palm tree at the beach on the islands. Did I mention it has a nice mellow sound?

Anyway, too many words; here's a link with info and photos at dreamukes.com:

Maestro Mango Concert ukulele

Also, here's a gallery of pics I took:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhkrkenfx02u320/2RYIZBvCoZ

Bottom line, if you want a dream ukulele, just contact Terence at dreamukes.com (aka pakhan in the UU forums), and he'll fix you up! :shaka:

Last edited:
Congrats. I saw that uke at Terrance's website, and thought it was quite striking.

I'd love to hear a sound sample.

Great pictures on your Dropbox site!

Last edited:
OK, thanks. It's the first time I've used Dropbox for a photo gallery. I'll work on it.

EDIT: Hopefully, the Dropbox photo gallery is fixicated now. :)

Last edited:
Congrats! That is one striking looking uke! I bet it sounds great...but why the bevel in that spot...why not where it's up against part of your body?

I'm a little confused by this, too. Maybe it's supposed to be sort of a cutaway, or the sort of break that dasilva does with the James Hill Model? Anyhow, great looking uke--I hope you enjoy it and post sound clips and all.

Congrats! That is one striking looking uke! I bet it sounds great...but why the bevel in that spot...why not where it's up against part of your body?

I think it is supposed to be a bit of a cutaway, to allow easier access above the 12th fret, but I'm not yet sure how well it functions in that regard.

Whoa. Gorgeous. Enjoy!!!

congrats! beautiful!

Beautiful uke! Congrats:)

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks to Steedy for the kind comments. We're just trying to do our best for our customers. Although ukes don't need much packaging, due to their low mass and great hardcases, old guitar based habits die hard!

syfc Steve, the bevel cutaway is akin to the DaSilva bevel cutaway, but executed differently, it does make a little bit of difference in that it helps ease your left hand into a better playing position for those high notes.

We have sound samples for most of the ukes on the site, so hopefully my awful playing will not drive folks away!

Terence

So pretty! Congratulations!

Thanks, I've been thinking of making a quick video of the Maestro Concert uke, but just haven't gotten around to it...

Top Bottom