Octave dropped strings?

Coleton33Music

Reaction score
Hey UUers!

Is it possible to make a ukulele string set tuned one octave down than regular? So the tuning in one octave below middle C.

I asked aquila's ukulele channel and they replied with:
"it is possible to design these strings but the uke scale must be twice. everything is in proportion. Lower of an octave, twice the scale. it is not possible to design strings an octave down installed on a traditional uke."
-Ciao

But I don't understand this. If you can have high density low G strings, than how come you can't have high density low C, E & A strings?

Let me know what your thought about this is!
If you've found what I'm looking for, please tell me!

Thanks,
Coleton

Hey UUers!

Is it possible to make a ukulele string set tuned one octave down than regular? So the tuning in one octave below middle C.

I asked aquila's ukulele channel and they replied with:
But I don't understand this. If you can have high density low G strings, than how come you can't have high density low C, E & A strings?
Let me know what your thought about this is!
If you've found what I'm looking for, please tell me!

Thanks,
Coleton

Here's last weeks post very similar.

I did an experiment on a tenor too. I used classical guitar strings EADG and tuned them GCEA one octave below a standard ukulele.
It sounds great when playing with others.
I am happy, but when I have the time and motivation I am going to try rentrant tuning by switching the low string with a thinner string.

Tenor, what scale length? What kind of neck bracing? I'm just wondering this because of tension. I know D'addario makes light, normal, high and extra high tension pro-are classical guitar strings, as well as the fact they use normal tension for their ukulele strings. What brand and set did you use.

Aside from that, I'm looking for a set made of unwound material. I saw that aquila is making a full string set of their "Red" series, the ones people used to use for low G strings. These are made of a metal mixed with the nylgut strings. Other options would include flourocarbon, or another high density material. I mean, if there's low G unwound, why not low C unwound?

Last edited:
You can very easily do it on a Baritone, with the right strings.
Tension is not a problem, in fact, it's lighter tension than most regular strings.

I even recorded a video with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyLRHl0wEY

That is GCEA, one octave below normal.

The strings are Guadalupe custom low-GCEA strings for baritone:
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=85&categoryId=2

You're probably pushing it on a tenor - scale length's a bit too short.
If you find strings thick enough, it'll work, but sound and feel terrible.

Top Bottom