Waltzing Matilda - Come On!

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Please join the Waltzing Matildathon(coined by Pootsie, good one)
I have decided that the quality of the entries deserves a PRIZE
They minted a Waltzing Matilda $1 coin in 1995.
The un-circulated ones are worth at least $7 now.
So at end of February all entries will go in a hat and the one drawn out by my grandson Jaxson will win an increasingly valuable ONE DOLLAR coin in its special folder.

WM$1.jpg
Not a contest.
Not even really a challenge.
But if you would like to do a cover of Waltzing Matilda I'd love to see it.
If you speak a language other than English it would be interesting to hear what that sounds like - now that does sound like a challenge.
There are two melodies - the other one is called the Queensland Version.
If you already have done a video - no matter how long ago please post it here.
There are no rules or conditions just let's Waltz with Matilda.
Any song that refers to 'Waltzing Matilda' is welcome.
If you can make a connection with the song and 'Walzing Matilda' post it here.
PLAYLIST of those who came Waltzing Matilda.

Last edited:
We use to sing this song in school so, I'll give it a shot. I know I have the sheet music for it somewhere and I'll dedicate it to a couple of my cousins that live in Australia. The only problem is that if they hear it, they may claim to not know me!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very nice and relaxed. :D

And it's so odd, a friend and I were talking about the two versions last night, probably right as you were posting this!

This is my take on the Waltzing Matilda melody.
I told my aged 20-30 employees that I had written a parody to the tune of Waltzing Matilda. I expected them to ask me what a parody was. Instead they asked me what Waltzing Matilda was.

Last edited:
This is my take on the Waltzing Matilda melody.
I told my aged 20-30 employees that I had written a parody to the tune of Waltzing Matilda. I expected them to ask me what a parody was. Instead they asked me what Waltzing Matilda was.
Pretty appropriate really. It is a song of crime and punishment. I take that Governor didn't 'dive in to the billabong' though? I think that did make the news down here - the graft and corruption not the parody song.

The Queensland Version on sopranino recorder. Took lots of takes which explains the joy at the end. There had been quite a bit of swearing. It still has problems but I'm living with them.

Last edited:
And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda ~ Instrumental

With the host's kind indulgence, I offer this tune.

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
Written by Eric Bogle in 1971.
Instrumental on low G soprano uke.

It reminds me of one of the best Australian films I ever saw, Peter Weir's "Gallipoli" from 1981.

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey sang this song to his supporters the night he was elected to the US Senate. You can see that video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z59Iw36wM0
He won the Congressional Medal of Honor and lost a leg in the Viet Nam war. He used the first line of the song as the title of his autobiography "When I Was a Young Man."

My favorite version by the Pogues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

With the host's kind indulgence, I offer this tune.

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
Written by Eric Bogle in 1971.
Instrumental on low G soprano uke.

It reminds me of one of the best Australian films I ever saw, Peter Weir's "Gallipoli" from 1981.

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey sang this song to his supporters the night he was elected to the US Senate. You can see that video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z59Iw36wM0
He won the Congressional Medal of Honor and lost a leg in the Viet Nam war. He used the first line of the song as the title of his autobiography "When I Was a Young Man."

My favorite version by the Pogues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

My favourite anti-war song Dave. It really points out the devastation and futility of war.
A poignant little instrumental. I appreciate your lovely contribution to this thread..

Nicely done!!!

And might I say that is an awesome bridge (?) on the wall behind you.
Thank you.
The bridge was made by maternal grandfather, Arthur Heaton. He passed away about 40 years ago. He was an expert wood worker. It is about 75 years old and is made from ply using a scroll saw. The Australian red cedar cabinet under the bridge and the large red cedar table seen in some recent videos are also his work.

I already post mine somewhere else but here it is, waiting for another version (with the little white uke...)

You know I love your instrumental version, Val. Thank you for posting it again here.

Last edited:
Waltzing Matilda from Jazzbanjorex:

I hope no one has done this song yet! (that's a joke).
Finally got my chance to record it. A few oppses in there, sorry.

Top Bottom