Custom Banjo Uke!

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
A couple of guys came in the shop a while back. one was strummin uke while the other was pickin a banjo uke, they both sang. It was cool. a la Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons etc..
P1050090.JPG

This got me thinkin about the banjo uke a little different. I had never heard it used in accompaniment like that and it really works. Adds a dimension regular ukulele doesn't. Great for that style acoustic songwriter, bluegrass flavored stuff. This got me thinking about possibly having one myself, which led me to the realization that there is no high end, hand made, custom banjo uke. Or so I thought.
Ran across an article in Fretboard Journals that led me here- http://www.romerobanjos.com/specialtybanjos.html
Jason and Pharis Romero make these beautiful banjos of all sorts including the nicest banjoleles I have seen. Maybe you guys already knew?
They are very nice and obviously put a lot of heart into their instruments. Here's a video of the two playing music together on their property in British Columbia.

Talked to Jason and even though he is about 2 years backordered he is gonna try to get our store something in the spring time, at which time we can really show the goods. Pretty sure there is not a big market for high end banjo ukes, but I know I want one, and I'm not too bizarre. Just turned on to the possibilities in an instrument I had previously not considered my taste.

Ok, back to work, just wanted to share

How high end is high end, cost wise?

Poking around their website, it appears banjo ukes start at $1300.

Those Romero banjos look high quality, and sound great.
Previously,I had thought about a Spanky banjo uke with a Compass Rose inlay.
http://www.spankyukes.com/

There is/was beansprout by Aaron Kiem (sp?). I guess it now goes thru Mya Moe now but he had been building them for a while. I have never played one but they appear to be high end banjo ukes.

Thank you guys, looking at all kinds of things I hadn't seen. I will study these as I travel to NAMM. Are you gonna be there Pedal? Let's meet up. I'll be at Koolau. shoots..
Oh, Mike's first day back and he's gonna bring up 20 Hawaiians. Cheeehooo... plus got in some Pepe Cordoba's. look out :D

Thank you guys, looking at all kinds of things I hadn't seen. I will study these as I travel to NAMM. Are you gonna be there Pedal? Let's meet up. I'll be at Koolau. shoots..
Oh, Mike's first day back and he's gonna bring up 20 Hawaiians. Cheeehooo... plus got in some Pepe Cordoba's. look out :D

Not this year :( Maybe next year. We usually go every other year. Maybe next year!

Top Bottom