Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquila Barfatones Rant

Default Aquila Barfatones Rant

I went to restring my Bari with Aquilias (I've used that brand on my bari for at least 4 years). While putting the new set on the B and E appeared to be identical.

I tried to tune up the E and it was too tight and too fat. I looked at another set of the same 21U I had on hand and and the same thing.

I compared the E to the set I took off and the old E was as least 3/4 - 1/2 the thickness of the new E. On both sets the E was identical to the B. I used a caliper to do the comparison.

It was bad enough that the old Aquilias wound D and G wore out in Days (I never used them and used to have to buy D'Addario J68's or GHS 100s and use their wound D and G).

I guess now you have to buy the D, G and E to use these strings.

Luckily I had a set of D'Addario EJ88B Nyltech on hand (bought on a whim) they seemed identical to the old Aquilias (I hope the wound are better than those POS 21U strings).

Anyone had the same experience?

I am so glad I had the D'Addarios on hand, as we are performing tomorrow.

Anyone want 2 sets of the new crummy Aquilias Baris? PM me and I'll send my address you can send a SASE to.

I was going to say the following but that would have not been in the Aloha Spirit. So just ignore it.

"Oh Yeah THANKS AQUILIA! Like my Grandmother used to tell Grandpa when she got PO'ed: "vaffanculo!"

You should have given them another model # to alert us you were changing them.

Something about this just pisses me off (as your strings are sold at a premium)."

I forgot to add, on top of it the G is Aluminum and is appears to be thicker than the D. They should have just shipped a fake dog turd, at least I could have had some fun playing jokes with it. I guess the joke is on me as I got a real turd.

I bought these as spares awhile ago so I don't know when or from who so I can't return them. I vaguely remember getting shafted like this before on a different set of Aquilias, (wound string on an all nylgut set) but all the shaftings blur together at my age

I dont blame ya man id be upset also

Did you test them to see if the new strings intonated correctly?

Who knows what changes Aquila is making. The test is do they work.

EDIT: I've had baritone sets of Aquila's on, on various baritone ukuleles for long periods of time. They may not always look pretty but they don't fail.

Anthony
    Last edited by anthonyg; 01-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post

EDIT: I've had baritone sets of Aquila's on, on various baritone ukuleles for long periods of time. They may not always look pretty but they don't fail.

Anthony
    yes I did, it was a B STRING they packaged for an an E, I finally remembered the last time it happened the G was a low G For a tenor. I had to waste my time taking Photos and scans of the strings and package to get the correct stuff sent. Crappy QC. If can find their address I'll see if I can get my hard earned money back. Buyer BEWARE

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post

Anthony
    I've had their wound strings break in less than a week. Same uke, GHS & DAdarrio last MONTHS

Did you try contacting Aquila before ranting here?

That's usually more polite and more effective if you want to get service from a supplier...

Quote Originally Posted by Ukuleleblues View Post
    I forgot to add, on top of it the G is Aluminum and is appears to be thicker than the D. They should have just shipped a fake dog turd, at least I could have had some fun playing jokes with it. I guess the joke is on me as I got a real turd.
    That pretty much summed up my experience with bari Aquilas - not with the wrong sized E string but that aluminum G string was the pits. Just FYI - the Martin M630 bari strings use that same crappy aluminum G string - in fact the wound strings in a Martin m630 set and the Aquilas could be the same strings from any difference I could tell.

Edit to add: Oh, and one of the wound strings broke within a week in both sets of Aquilas I tried on my Mainland bari - I don't recall if it was the same string both times but I switched that uke to D'Addario Pro-Arte guitar strings (actually, just the D - the G is a fluorocarbon unwound) and haven't had a problem since. In fact, the best thing about the Aquilas was that they broke quickly because it prompted me to quickly try other strings. LOL

Now for the big secret: Thomastik-Infeld makes chrome steel flat wound guitar strings that are beautiful on a bari uke - very, very quiet. You can get them individually through some of the string sellers. The .035 CF35, intended for the A string on a guitar, makes a perfect D string on bari. I suspect that the .031, intended for D string on guitar, will make a perfect G string but I haven't tried it yet as I'm still evaluating a fluorocarbon unwound string in that position. So far, for picking I prefer that unwound fluorocarbon string but I suspect for strumming the .031 Thomastik-Infeld might be the better choice.

John
    Last edited by OldePhart; 01-18-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

This is one of the reasons I choose Southcoast and Living Waters. I know they'll be correct and if not it's easy to contact the owners. I wish they made linear wound strings (G) for a bari but they don't so I'm now looking for a set other than Martin 630's. I like the fluros of the bari L/W's but miss the higher tension of a wound 3&4.

Will be interested in how this turns out and if you find a string you like.

Also interested in the strings you're putting together John, they sound like what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 01-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
    Did you try contacting Aquila before ranting here?

That's usually more polite and more effective if you want to get service from a supplier...
    I just wanted to warn you all to beware. I don't have to open and mic my other manufacturers strings. I bought these months ago. Face it, I got screwed . I'm with oldfart Best thing is I found a better product. I've wasted enough time doing aquilia's QC today...live and learn

Thread Information