Tenor Scale
Dark Koa with light koa bindings
Plays and sounds great.
1140a-1.jpg

1140b.jpg

1140g.jpg

Other pics at http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/olgoat52/Moore%20Bettah/

My favorite soprano

These are Chuck Moore's photos, I haven't taken any that are better than these. Chuck is an artist in everything he does...
This is my MBU soprano, no. 1104. Ain't she purdy?
3-11--b.jpg3-11--c.jpg3-11--a.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen one of his f holes, Patrick. A guy named Tim Sweeny has one and performs with it in my area. Just a beauty, like all of Chuck's ukes. Don't know if it is arched or not though. There is a video of him playing it on Youtube and I think that Chuck also has it up on his website.

I saw that one DK but there's not a really good photo of it. It sounded fantastic though.

One Moore for good measure!

"Rapunzel"

serial #714
5A Curly Koa
Cutaway
Cocobolo bridge, bindings, and fretboard
Abalone purfling
017-3.jpg

022.jpg

024-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

Hands down, this is my all-time favorite Moore Bettah uke. It is sooooo beautiful. Sigh.

Using Chuck's photos...

16.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

OMG I have serious uke-envy! :drool: How do you get one of these made?

Another "not so basic," this one finished in November 2012 while I was on the Big Island.

I had the chance to play a different MB "spec" instrument (spruce top with macadamia--a truly lovely combo and sound), but I'd always, always wanted an Hawaiian-made ukulele with koa and ebony binding (and my LoPrinzi is already a spruce top so the "sound" of the "other" uke was too similar; I wanted something different). This one, a tenor, just "feels" like me--and, as a six-year "only soprano/only high G" player, that's really saying something.

I was a bit timid about jumping up to tenor size (and low G, no less) but every day, when I play this beauty, I'm amazed at how easy the adaptation was. This is an instrument with a sound (and looks!) that make me want to become a better player so I deserve the instrument (although Hubby kindly says I already deserve it).

I especially adore the side sound port, which, while made to enhance sound for the player, I sincerely think should be called a "sniff me" port--the fragrance of the wood on this instrument is unbelievably nice.

If this thread is making you yearn for a new Moore Bettah ukulele, head over to his website, read about Chuck's approach to building ukulele, contact him and get on the waiting list. The time (and funds) are more than worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 124
Another "not so basic," this one finished in November 2012 while I was on the Big Island.

I had the chance to play a different MB "spec" instrument (spruce top with macadamia--a truly lovely combo and sound), but I'd always, always wanted an Hawaiian-made ukulele with koa and ebony binding (and my LoPrinzi is already a spruce top so the "sound" of the "other" uke was too similar; I wanted something different). This one, a tenor, just "feels" like me--and, as a six-year "only soprano/only high G" player, that's really saying something.

I was a bit timid about jumping up to tenor size (and low G, no less) but every day, when I play this beauty, I'm amazed at how easy the adaptation was. This is an instrument with a sound (and looks!) that make me want to become a better player so I deserve the instrument (although Hubby kindly says I already deserve it).

I especially adore the side sound port, which, while made to enhance sound for the player, I sincerely think should be called a "sniff me" port--the fragrance of the wood on this instrument is unbelievably nice.

If this thread is making you yearn for a new Moore Bettah ukulele, head over to his website, read about Chuck's approach to building ukulele, contact him and get on the waiting list. The time (and funds) are more than worth it.

No wonder Chuck didn't have any ukes for sale for a long time!! Visitors always have priority for his non-accounted ukes. Talk about perfect timing. That's a great looking one. Thanks for sharing Tonya!!

Oh, if it were only that simple! His waitlist hasn't been open for years.

I love these ukes; some of my favorites are represented here, though my all time favorite (the Canoe Wahine) was not. I hope you all play them daily, because I would. I hope to become a caretaker of a Moore Bettah someday. Until then, I will keep practicing so that one day I may be worthy!

Thanks everyone for sharing! If there is a story associated with it, please add that as well.

Last edited:
Great inlay idea for the slotted headstock.

Top Bottom