New Ukulele Design from Pepe Romero & Daniel Ho

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Pepe was approached by Daniel Ho with a request for a smaller uke, but, he still wanted the tenor scale-17", and the lower bout to remain the same feel as you reach around it, and the tone and projection of a tenor. So how do you do this and have it fit into a concert size case?
Here is what Pepe came up with-

photo.jpg

It has a label reading " a Daniel Ho concept special edition". When we get one we can give a review and video. I will meet up with Pepe on Friday and check it out. Can't give my opinion yet, except to say that it's different, and that's always cool to me.

I like the look of it. It has a Mandola feel, and perhaps an air of something medieval, yet also maintains hints of modernity in its larger sound hole and the curve on the headstock.

Now, how does it sound? That is the question!

I have a David Gill that is the same idea.
here is the concert version, but the tenor one also fits perfectly in a concert fremont case
david_gill_fluke_full_front.gif

There seems to be a trend towards smaller body sizes and longer scales.
The number of thin-body tenors, super-soprano/concerts have increased dramatically..

eg: Koaloha thin-body tenor, tenor-neck soprano...

I'm not a big fan of this shape of uke....but I'm sure that it must sounds very nice and you could expect from a Pepe uke I guess.

Let us know how it sounds like!

It will sound wonderful, and play just as well. Had it been a dog, it would not have ever seen the flash of a camera.It looks like the pineapple/ teardrop shape that has worked so well for so many different instruments. One questions why, if the shape was going to be changed, was the position of the sound hole not also changed. If the top is to vibrate, bifurcating it with a gap sure stops it. Brad Donaldson is to build me one whch looks like that shape and the sound port is to be on the bass side in a (( shape at the front edge.

I see a lot of flaws in the overall design and playability. But, I am sure they will sell just fine. Should sound like a pineapple shape.

Top Bottom