MGM's Namm 2013 blog

Eddy Finn is Morgan Monroe's uke line. Esteban, you're up.

Well, there you have it... I keep thinking it will be soon. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this uke renaissance; but like the US housing market in the mid 2000s, I just don't see how it is sustainable.

We can sustain it if we keep bringing new folks to the ukulele. I have gotten 3 of my friends and colleagues playing in the last few months...and two of them, I gave ukes to get them started...someday maybe we'll all play together!

More pics from today Saturday at Namm 2013
016.jpg042.jpg002.jpg

Heres another picture from Kanileas Namm Get Together at our hotel

Jamming with Dereck Sebastian
and Kalei Gamiao
051.jpg

More party pics
063.jpg060.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. It's cresting (one retailer even mentions it on an Aldrine namm vid, based on sales).

There's a difference in a fad and a trend. Fads fade away and trends fluctuate. In the 50's many said the guitar was a fad. In that vein many people then and now pick up a guitar to be "cool".

If there is a problem here is has more to do with us as consumers choosing quantity over quality and businesses being guided by analytics and money rather than love and sincerity.
The ukulele is here to stay. With so many great players and music this trend may fluctuate, but it will stay top choice for many. and for good reason.

I heard MIM signed up. Came up to the Pono booth and said she'll take one of everything. woohoo, that's how it's done. She's an incredible lady. Glad to have her onboard.

I keep missing you! Hahaha! Each time your dad would say, "Did you see Andrew? He just left!" I have been wanting to offer Ponos for a LONG time! I haven't spent all my budget just yet. Visiting 2 more 'maybe' booths tomorrow, but who knows, I may be back to add a few more ;) And hope to see you and MGM. I meant to get a pic with Mike, we were hangin' for a bit, but it just slipped my mind then it was UU jam time.

One more day... seems like it has been a long time, but not enough time, all at the same time!

When I think of the bubble bursting, I don't think it's gonna burst for everyone. I'm optimistic that we consumers have mostly been sharp cookies, and the quality stuff? Here to stay. The good stuff should more or less ride out trends. Roundabout way of saying I agree. :)

There's a difference in a fad and a trend. Fads fade away and trends fluctuate. In the 50's many said the guitar was a fad. In that vein many people then and now pick up a guitar to be "cool".

If there is a problem here is has more to do with us as consumers choosing quantity over quality and businesses being guided by analytics and money rather than love and sincerity.
The ukulele is here to stay. With so many great players and music this trend may fluctuate, but it will stay top choice for many. and for good reason.

beautiful i love it

man wish i can goto the NAMM if i went i probably would of gone broke hahahahahaha seein the pics makes me wanna buy at the spot thanks mike and andrew for showing pics most appriciated

Two things at NAMM interested me.

Lanikai was displaying the Tuna Uke, an adjustable bridge similar to one on an electric guitar. Is it the cure-all for bad intonation?

The Blue Nessie microphone is getting a lot of mentions in the press. Is it that big of an improvement?

It'd be great if someone there could stop by the booths and do a brief video.

Lanikai was displaying the Tuna Uke, an adjustable bridge similar to one on an electric guitar. Is it the cure-all for bad intonation?

Interested in this also. That and the UkeSB. I have the Fender usb strat and it is very cool. Anyone try it out?

It's gotta be coming. I noticed a bunch of hipsters in a fashion forum about a year ago, proclaiming that ukes are now lame.

That word hasn't caught on to all hipsters yet, but it must be making the rounds...

LOL, I wish I had seen this. Hilarious!

I think the ukulele is still gaining popularity. If you go on tumblr, there are loads of new posts each day with kids/young adults posting pictures of their new ukuleles or moaning about wanting to learn the ukulele. Younger people are also open to the ukulele being used in popular music. They don't seem to have the same limited associations with it that people in my generation (gen-x) and older do.

Cali and I are going out today! I got my ear plugs ready! It'll be great to see the Kitakis family (Ko'olau), Mike A. (MGM), Jim and Liz Beloff, along with everyone else and the new products!

Top Bottom