Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,193

    Default Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

    Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigeralum2001 View Post
    Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.
    BRILLIANT question! I've been admiring the 'Hanknn' range of Ukes - especially the 'Spalted Maple' concert http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanknn-All-S...item6b22591468

    Given that there can only be a finite number of factories producing all the 'Far Eastern' manufactured instruments, surely a good number of the 'proper' Uke brands must be using the same factories?

    Would love to know if anyone has the facts on this........it could be (Quality)UAS on the cheap!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
    Posts
    294

    Default

    This a question that cannot have an answer.
    The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
    People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
    As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
    When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
    Sorry for my bad English
    Mimmo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunless Rustbelt Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG. Had the tenor version. Decided tenor's not for me. Got the concert.
    Mainland Classic Concert Solid mahogany, no bling, beautiful.
    Bonanza Concert Oreo Slimline black walnut and cherry CNC marvel.
    Ohana SK-39 Great little Martin wannabe.
    Mahalo Smiley Face. Cute little bugger and Jake signed it!
    Kala KA-15S. Good starter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukemunga View Post
    Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.
    The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.
    Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Mimmo is correct,

    most factories have a confidentiality agreement, although in practise some factories do release that info. But, would you purchase from an unethical factory?

    Terence
    ukes for sale!
    G string concert
    Char Tenor
    Compass Rose tenor
    Kawika tenor

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queanbeyan, NSW Australia.
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    This a question that cannot have an answer.
    The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
    People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
    As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
    When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
    Sorry for my bad English
    Mimmo
    Thanks mimmo. I suspected this would be the answer.

    Anthony

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MN, USA
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seneystretch View Post
    The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.
    Thanks for posting this. I am enjoying the English translations of the names. Might have to comparison shop, but I see that "girl beautiful wonderful time's store" has the bright yellow ukulele case I've been coveting.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Not the answer to the op's question, but I always liked this database for ukulele brands

    http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/abc
    Makala Dolphin Black, Aquila reentrant gCEA
    wanted: Ovation Applause UAE20


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brown County Indiana
    Posts
    12,261

    Default

    I've seen speculation about this topic on an ongoing basis, and it's often incorrect. Mimmo made a lot of good points, but there is even more to it than that. We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers. And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

    UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

    Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

    I know Gary Yoshida.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •