Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

Default Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeralum2001 View Post
    Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.
    BRILLIANT question! I've been admiring the 'Hanknn' range of Ukes - especially the 'Spalted Maple' concert http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanknn-All-S...item6b22591468

Given that there can only be a finite number of factories producing all the 'Far Eastern' manufactured instruments, surely a good number of the 'proper' Uke brands must be using the same factories?

Would love to know if anyone has the facts on this........it could be (Quality)UAS on the cheap!

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

This a question that cannot have an answer.
    The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
    People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
    As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
    When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
    Sorry for my bad English
    Mimmo

Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG. Had the tenor version. Decided tenor's not for me. Got the concert.
    Mainland Classic Concert Solid mahogany, no bling, beautiful.
    Bonanza Concert Oreo Slimline black walnut and cherry CNC marvel.
    Ohana SK-39 Great little Martin wannabe.
    Mahalo Smiley Face. Cute little bugger and Jake signed it!
    Kala KA-15S. Good starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ukemunga View Post
    Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.
    The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.
    Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

Mimmo is correct,

most factories have a confidentiality agreement, although in practise some factories do release that info. But, would you purchase from an unethical factory?

Terence
    ukes for sale!
    G string concert
    Char Tenor
    Compass Rose tenor
    Kawika tenor

Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    This a question that cannot have an answer.
    The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
    People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
    As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
    When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
    Sorry for my bad English
    Mimmo
    Thanks mimmo. I suspected this would be the answer.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by seneystretch View Post
    The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.
    Thanks for posting this. I am enjoying the English translations of the names. Might have to comparison shop, but I see that "girl beautiful wonderful time's store" has the bright yellow ukulele case I've been coveting.

Not the answer to the op's question, but I always liked this database for ukulele brands

http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/abc
    Makala Dolphin Black, Aquila reentrant gCEA
    wanted: Ovation Applause UAE20

I've seen speculation about this topic on an ongoing basis, and it's often incorrect. Mimmo made a lot of good points, but there is even more to it than that. We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers. And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Thread Information