Need Help Picking Out a Mainland Concert---Tone Wood Suggestion...

jmsandy77

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to pick up a Mainland Concert for my second uke. I currently have a Pono MT and absolutely love it. Hence why I'm going for a concert size this time.

Was wondering of each of the tone woods they offer what your favorite is and why? My Pono is mahogany so that's out. What are your thoughts/suggestions on the Spruce, Cedar or Mango?

Really looking forward to your input and thanks in advance! :cool:

Hi All,

Looking to pick up a Mainland Concert for my second uke. I currently have a Pono MT and absolutely love it. Hence why I'm going for a concert size this time.

Was wondering of each of the tone woods they offer what your favorite is and why? My Pono is mahogany so that's out. What are your thoughts/suggestions on the Spruce, Cedar or Mango?

The mainland red cedar is one of the best concert ukes out there. I have no idea why but that ukulele sounds so good and is so pretty. The mango is pretty sweet too...no pun intended. But the red cedar concert is hard to beat.

The mainland red cedar is one of the best concert ukes out there. I have no idea why but that ukulele sounds so good and is so pretty. The mango is pretty sweet too...no pun intended. But the red cedar concert is hard to beat.
I'd have to agree, the red cedar looks and sounds so beautiful.

I can't comment on the mango or spruce but the red cedar is so special. I spent yesterday jumping back and forth between my Mainland red cedar and mahogany. They both are my favorites, how could I pick between to the two? But I gotta say the red cedar has something special and sweet about it. Great resonation and clarity.

Well, if mahogany is out then my vote would go for mango. Mango will be rather bright, though, so if you're not looking for bright it's probably not the best choice. Not a big fan of red cedar (had a tenor and gave it to my son-in-law). There was nothing wrong with it it just didn't strike my fancy.

john

I'm after a Mainland Tenor. Mahogany, cedar or mango?

Honestly, I think his cedar is pretty awesome, but I would call Mainland and talk about what sound you are looking for and mike will be able to help you. Not all ukes sound the same from uke to uke. One cedar may sound brighter than another. It is not a quality control thing, it is just a uke spirit thing. They are the same uke model, but can be very different.

Mainland Red Cedar Concert

Hi All,

My first uke is a KALA-S, a very basic mahogany one for beginners.
Mainland red cedar concert is my second uke, and I LOOOOVE it! Haha.
Just got it two months ago, and my friend changed the string to aNueNue for me. Here's a song I recorded yesterday. You can hear the sound of it. : ]

Top Bottom