Removed strings, nut fell off.

ShawnMilo

Reaction score
I just went to change strings for the first time on one of my ukes. I've changed strings before -- just not on this one in particular. It's a Kala KA-GATU-C purchased from Hawaii Music Supply.

When I loosened the last string, then nut blatantly fell off. Unfortunately, changing strings is the height of my ukulele repair skills. I just bought it in December, but I don't want to pay round-trip shipping to Hawaii to have it fixed.

It doesn't look like anything is damaged -- the nut isn't chipped, the wood isn't torn. There is some residue from what must be glue, so I guess it must have just let go for some reason.

Considering that it worked fine as-is, I could just re-string and let the strings hold it in place. For that matter, that's how the saddle is held in, and I believe the saddle touching the body is more important for the sound than the nut.

So, should I glue it, and if so, what glue should I use? Is there any special knowledge required that means I should have a professional do it?

Thanks,
Shawn

No worries Shawn. The tension of the strings is what keeps them in place. None of the nuts on my ukes are glued in place. I wouldn't glue it in case you ever want to change it.

The nut doesn't have to be glued in although all of mine are. If you glue it in the best way is to only put the tinniest spot of glue on the fretboard end and none underneath. Simple wood glue. Nothing fancy. Your just keeping the nut in place without string pressure.

Anthony

The nut doesn't have to be glued in although all of mine are. If you glue it in the best way is to only put the tinniest spot of glue on the fretboard end and none underneath. Simple wood glue. Nothing fancy. Your just keeping the nut in place without string pressure.

Anthony

Anthony is right. If you use just a small amount of glue, it will stay in place, AND it will be possible to remove the nut easily if you should ever need to change it.

When I loosened my G string, my nut almost fell off. ( old joke. Never mind the old kayaker in the corner).

I agree w the answers here, Shawn. Nuts on ukes are made to be interchangeable.

Anthony

I'd suggest not using wood glue, just a dab of Elmers is better in case you ever want to remove the nut again.

Remember guys & gals this is a "G" rated forum.
I do believe however there was an episode of 2 1/2 men where Rose used super glue on Charlie after their one night stand.
But like "hoosierhiver" said a small amount of Elmers will hold the nut in place, which is nice when changing strings.
BTW, the saddle is held in by string pressure only.

Thanks, everybody. I'm not so worried about it now. I think I will do a drop of Elmer's. I doubt I'll ever change nuts on this one, so it's worth my while just to not have it fall off and potentially get lost each string change.

Thanks, everybody. I'm not so worried about it now. I think I will do a drop of Elmer's. I doubt I'll ever change nuts on this one, so it's worth my while just to not have it fall off and potentially get lost each string change.

I almost lost a nut a couple days ago changing strings. I didn't realize it came off until a few minutes later, when I went to put the new ones on. Spent a couple minutes of panic searching my off-white linoleum floor for a bone-white nut. Very relieved to find it.

I used a dab of glue to keep it there for the next time.

I ended up using a small drop of Elmer's school glue. Too small, or I didn't let it set, because it never stayed on. So I ended up re-stringing anyway and it's perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the advice letting me know that a ukulele nut doesn't have to be firmly set in place within 0.0001 mm to get good sound!

Top Bottom