Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAMM favorites

Default NAMM favorites

We've all seen the pictures and viewed the videos, some may have even attended NAMM. What I want to know is that excites you and what you are looking forward to in 2013?

I am looking forward to the Godin uke; that looks pretty sweet. I love the Quilted Maple from DaSilva. Maybe this year I pick up one of the nice resonator models. And for some reason, I feel the need for some gallistrings...

What about you?
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Hippie Dribble Guest

for me it was hands down, the mango Kamaka. For some reason I've not ever been a koa fan, but have always kind of romanticised the Kamaka name and all it represents. I also love mango to bits, so I think I can see one of those in my future...

Not necessarily a posting of my favorites, but a general observation from watching the videos that makes me realize that I need to try harder to get there next year to see for myself: why did quite a few makers demo ukes with Aldrine that were not in tune? Now I know they aren't there to impress the general public, but they should see the UU crew as major exposure for their product. It takes a few seconds to tune up a uke and I'm sure the UU folks could wait a minute before rolling. I know in years past there have been comments about the folks being interviewed not being players, but to not even have the instrument in tune is frustrating to see.

That being said, I'd like to check out one of the Kiwaya tenors, if only to tune it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeralum2001 View Post
    We've all seen the pictures and viewed the videos, some may have even attended NAMM. What I want to know is that excites you and what you are looking forward to in 2013?

I am looking forward to the Godin uke;....
    Me too. Eric at C. B. Perkins, is a dealer for Godin and said that he will have some in his store in a month, or maybe a few days if the ones at NAMM haven't been sold. I've got one (natural finish) on hold.
    Gillian
    ~KoAloha longneck soprano (KSM-02)
    ~Kamaka Longneck Concert(HF2-LK)
    ~Compass Rose custom tenor
    ~Compass Rose custom microjumbo tenor
    ~Blackbird BTU tenor
    ~Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (koa)
    ~Duke 10 tenor banjo ukulele

~Ohana OBU-22 fretless bass ukulele

My YouTube channel

Hippie Dribble Guest

funniest and most entertaining interview from the show was the chat with Bill Collings. priceless. Great stuff Aldrine...I reckon the painted flowers make em sound better too he he

Godin guitars, DaSilva ukuleles, and the brand new Islander with arm rests and cutaways and slotted headstocks look really really tempting too. Anybody willing to sponsor an Islander ukulele?
    The ukulele will one day take over the world.

Well, it's now 100% Wixom ukuleles.

Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    But here's my youtube,
    so visit maybe?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidson?feature=mhee

Hitomi Kato. Cute as a fresh baked moon pie.

After watching the interviews and reading all the posts I have to say that there was nothing that really excited me about this years NAMM. The one uke that I was looking forward to seeing/hearing was the Master series koa tenor from Kiwaya. If you are introducing a tenor to your line, wouldn't you have it ready to go for interested buyers? I agree with Jeff. How difficult is it to tune your ukes before you know someone is going to want to hear them? I have spoken to Hitomi Kaito over the phone three or four times in years past as the representative for Kiwaya USA and she was delightful to speak with and very helpful. But she dropped the ball in her interview with Aldrine. Kiwayas are beautifully built ukuleles and the KTS-4 I owned sounded great. Not that I expected to get a good sound sample from their NAMM booth with all of the background noise, but it would have been nice at least to get an idea.

The Fusion bags looked nice, but expensive.

And a big thank you to Aldrine, Mike, Andrew, Tim, Ken, and everyone else that allowed us to see NAMM through their eyes. Every year you guys provide us with great coverage and insight to the latest and greatest in the ukulele world.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Hitomi Kato. Cute as a fresh baked moon pie.
    She is always so nice to work with
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I liked the 38 series sopraninio from Ohana, and that cute little rope binding soprano.
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Thread Information