makala vs hulala

jhonny8

Reaction score
Hi! im new here and from the philippines. i wanted to purchase my first uke but i can't decide whether to get the makala mk-c or the hulala ho-II, both are concert size. the ukes are from two different but reputable uke shops. the makala is priced php3,488 (usd85) while the hulala is priced php4,000 (usd97). the hulala comes with gig bag and with aquilla strings while the makala is uke only with its black nylon string. i have seen and read many good reviews about the makala but not much of the hulala. is it because its still new in the market? does anybody here who is familiar or have used and played the hulala? which uke is better? there is a php500 difference between the two ukes. makala good reviews in the net vs hulala with aquilla and gig bag. which would you guys recomend? btw... makala is made of agathis while hulala is of mahogany but both are laminates.

Hualala is a pretty good brand. I think they're Anuenue's budget brand (while Makala is Kala's budget brand).

I think the Hualala is the better deal, given that you also get better strings and a gigbag included.

Personally I like Hualala better than Makala.

I didn't know about the aNueNue link!
Can you play each one and select the better sounding of the two?
If not get someone in the shop to play them for you.
h

I didn't know about the aNueNue link!
Can you play each one and select the better sounding of the two?
If not get someone in the shop to play them for you.
h

The hulala i think sounded better because of the aqilla strings. Makala has a darker and mellow sound. But for php500-600, the makala can be replaced with aquilla or savarez strings.

Thanks for the replies.

I ever played both of makala mk-c and hulala ho-II. hulala sounds much better than makala. At this price, hulala is a very good choice.

Hualala is a pretty good brand. I think they're Anuenue's budget brand (while Makala is Kala's budget brand).

I think the Hualala is the better deal, given that you also get better strings and a gigbag included.

Thanks! May i ask why do you like the hulala better than the makala? Aside from the better deal.

Do u know theres a luthier in sn idelfonso bulacan......he export ukes to usa

Do u know theres a luthier in sn idelfonso bulacan......he export ukes to usa

i know there are luthiers in pampanga and cebu mostly they make guitars. but a luthier in bulacan who exports uke, thats great to know. do you know the name?

Maganda umaga, have you heard of Eddy Finn or Leolani? On the E/F, they have a ten year warranty. Leolani sounds so much better, but is still in the same basic price range.

Maganda umaga, have you heard of Eddy Finn or Leolani? On the E/F, they have a ten year warranty. Leolani sounds so much better, but is still in the same basic price range.

Magandang umaga din po :) have'nt heard of e/f nor leolani. will ask the shop if they have it. thanks!

Hi Jhonny8...welcome to the forum. I do not know the luthier in Bulacan but heard some good reviews about his guitars but if he is able to export them overseas then I would believe they are worth considering. At the token, I am sure Cebu and Pampanga have good luthiers as well but it will a little challenging to find out who among them come up with quality stringed instruments.

I have a Pono solid mahogany but have not have enough time to tickle it due to tight work and school schedule.

Good luck at magandang umaga si inyong lahat sa Pinas.....jumper

I hAv been at sta mesa area and the locally made ukes are not worth buying compared to china made ukes.......local ukes are heavy and dull sound. it wint even beat my $25 mahalo

1300cc....you are on the spot on your assessment. I've had a Lumaog made guitar which I ended up flying with to California. For some reason, despite the weight, I lost it because it self-imploded...self destructed. Together with it was a guitar a vietnamese friend sold me. I still have the vietnam made guitar...playability and sound is almost that of chinese made guitars.

Back to Jhonney8...find a uke made by reputable factories or luthiers ... you will have a better instrument.

My two-cents worth.

1300cc....you are on the spot on your assessment. I've had a Lumaog made guitar which I ended up flying with to California. For some reason, despite the weight, I lost it because it self-imploded...self destructed. Together with it was a guitar a vietnamese friend sold me. I still have the vietnam made guitar...playability and sound is almost that of chinese made guitars.

Back to Jhonney8...find a uke made by reputable factories or luthiers ... you will have a better instrument.

My two-cents worth.

thanks! i think having a custom made uke will be more expensive that's why i am considering the makala or hulala brands :)

Hulala just bought today

Glad to hear this. I bought it from Hale Ukulele in San Diego. Just went in on a whim and he suggested it for me, a beginner. Great sound - nice bag and a free t-shirt in the deal. So happy!

thanks! i think having a custom made uke will be more expensive that's why i am considering the makala or hulala brands :)

hey johnny8 i'm visiting manila in april and been communicating with 'Susing's' in Cebu for a custom built uke. You should check them out, i heard nice things about their ukes and i'm sure they have something in your price range. if you want PM me your email and I can send you their catalog.

Top Bottom