My first one

Kokkeli91

Reaction score
My first (but surely not last) ukulele build. The idea of making one myself started about a year ago when I held in my hands my friends first soprano. He had made it in Pete Howlett's extreme build 2010 here in Finland. I just fell in love with this instrument and knew that I had to make one myself. So here it is...

Some specs:
top: (lightly) flamed walnut
back & sides rosewood
fingerboard walnut
neck, blocks and kerfings: mahogany
bracing: spruce
finish: terrible truoil finish :D

I had a lot of trouble with this one but I'm quite pleased with the result. It actually sounded better than I had hoped :D But there are number of things that really bug me with this but I can only try and avoid making the same mistakes in my future builds.. :) Hope you like it! Oh and the 2.0 model is already in the making.. ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0470.jpg
    DSC_0470.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_1152.jpg
    DSC_1152.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 124
Wow, looks pretty darn good for your first build. Congrats...you can be proud.

I'm really partial to wood that would be found around where I live - problems you have with it aside, any chance you'll post a sound clip? I'd love to hear how the walnut sounds (my mountain dulcimer is walnut and sounds pretty darned nice).

Thanks for the compliments!

To Macmuse: I won't be able to give any sound samples because i'm currently moving and just last weekend I took this baby to my next address. I'm taking the rest of my stuff there in three weeks of time so I won't be even seeing this uke for a while... Also I have only just started playing and I'm not that great at it yet so I might post some samples laaaater... :D But I sure like the warm sound of the walnut. It was nice and easy to work with and I'm going to use it in my future builds too.

To mketom: the fretboard end is shaped like that because of my headstock design. I wanted to use the same shape twice to get a feeling of continuance... ;)

Hmm...rosewood body with a hardwood top? Interesting combo. Looks great

Top Bottom