Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Tenor.. Anybody play one?

Default Super Tenor.. Anybody play one?

Saw a Kanile'a super tenor on HMS website.
    It looks interesting: a baritone body with a tenor neck.
    Is Kanile'a the only maker of that combination?
    Seems to sound deeper with projection than a regular tenor.
    (Could just be the variations in recorded sounds too.)

Anybody play one of those? Any impressions?

I had one and it was good but not out of the ordinary. Sounded like a Kanilea and can't say that it was particularly louder or much deeper than other tenors. I don't think it is a bari body as the lower bout is only bigger while the upper bout was about the same as my other tenors. I have some other tenors, I'iwi and LFDM that have larger lower bouts than normal tenors but smaller than the ST.

Once I was visiting San Francisco and saw a very nice one at the Aloha Warehouse. The person working there told me that it was the first Kanilea Super Tenor of its kind. I asked to see it, but I guess it was too nice, because he wouldn't let me touch it. haha--maybe I should have dressed better that day

Good luck to them selling instruments you can't audition. No aloha in that warehouse. Google Ukulele Ghetto. He had/has one that he blogged extensively about.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Well, I can see why the employee wouldn't want to let a customer play the uke especially if it was the only one he could get. One bump on the counter or little fingernail scratch from strumming too hard could ruin it.

There are too, many people that just want to play ukes with No intention of buying. If you just wanted to hear it, I would've asked the person if they could play it.

I personally don't ever play or handle ukes unless the shop owner or employee says I could and I am looking at purchasing one.

Quote Originally Posted by GKK View Post
    Well, I can see why the employee wouldn't want to let a customer play the uke especially if it was the only one he could get. One bump on the counter or little fingernail scratch from strumming too hard could ruin it.

There are too, many people that just want to play ukes with No intention of buying. If you just wanted to hear it, I would've asked the person if they could play it.

I personally don't ever play or handle ukes unless the shop owner or employee says I could and I am looking at purchasing one.
    And so they need to ask you if you have intentions of buying or they should figure you out by how you look and what you wear?

McCabes in Santa Monica asked me if I wanted to try a $5000 Taylor Uke, which I refused but I didn't see any reservation on their part. I have never bought a uke from them prior to this encounter and brought in my Kamaka to put a strap button a $10 job. I have purchased 2 ukes after this.

Thank goodness not every store is like Aloha Warehouse and I see why people are purchasing from online stores. You read so many stories about people that had no intentions of buying but after playing it, they walk out with a new uke.

Tried one at a fest a few years back. Sounded fantastic, but just couldn't get past the ugly body shape. ):

Editing this post to clarify -- I don't have anything against the Aloha Warehouse -- they might be great guys with the most welcoming Aloha spirit for all I know. Although they didn't let me try the uke, maybe they had a very good reason for it or maybe the guy just had a bad day or bad experience that made him fearful of what I might do with a 4k uke. I didn't get the best vibe that day, but from what others are saying, there's a good chance if I went in another day that I would feel differently. And to get back on track to discuss the Super Tenor, the one with the slotted headstock and bound with island inlay that the Aloha Warehouse had was super awesome. I asked the clerk to strum it for me, which he did a bit, and it sounded very good. It didn't project and resonate as much as I thought it might, but it was still very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by nongdam View Post
    And so they need to ask you if you have intentions of buying or they should figure you out by how you look and what you wear?

McCabes in Santa Monica asked me if I wanted to try a $5000 Taylor Uke, which I refused but I didn't see any reservation on their part. I have never bought a uke from them prior to this encounter and brought in my Kamaka to put a strap button a $10 job. I have purchased 2 ukes after this.

Thank goodness not every store is like Aloha Warehouse and I see why people are purchasing from online stores. You read so many stories about people that had no intentions of buying but after playing it, they walk out with a new uke.
    Last edited by Stevelele; 02-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Gotta go with syfc on this. Appearances shouldn't matter...first class service should be available to all.

I have played the super tenor. Owned one in fact. I liked the sound and the larger lower bout actually made it easier to play while sitting down. The bout raised the uke to the perfect playing level for me.
    Aloha,
    Ronnie

I go into Aloha Warehouse all the time and I've sent friends there, and I've never once seen myself, or heard from my friends, any reluctance to let customers try the instruments. I have no reason to doubt syfc's account of his experience there, but none of us was there and even syfc acknowledged that his experience may have been an isolated incident. I don't think it's appropriate to turn a thread that was supposed to be for people to share their experiences with Kanile'a super tenors into an Aloha Warehouse bashfest on the basis of one side of one story about it.

Thread Information