Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tone and Player Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    incredible demo. Thanks for the post Andrew. For myself, I feel I'm always chasing that deeper, fuller, more rounded tone but end up sounding like the more abrasive one. Not bad ukes, wood or construction...just poor playing technique. The flexibility and control that Kris displays here is sure something to strive for.
    Ack! Jon, I've got dibs on your current "poor playing technique" when you trade it in for something better, okay!
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Wow, thanks Andrew. Great video and great thread.
    I have had the pleasure to meet Kris at the Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station some years ago.
    He is one of the reasons I bought my first uke... I don't understand why he's not getting more attention. He's an impressive artist.

I have Kris's second CD that has "Dueling banjos" on it... and I always thought there was a guy playing the Banjo beside him !!!

wow

Andrew, thanks so much for this post. The technique of changing the picking location to change the tone is new to me, and since I am one of those extremely rare (and clearly bizarre) uke players who is happy with one uke at a time, this is welcome information! I look forward to experimenting with it!
    Live long, prosper, and play your ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by cantsing View Post
    Andrew, thanks so much for this post. The technique of changing the picking location to change the tone is new to me, and since I am one of those extremely rare (and clearly bizarre) uke players who is happy with one uke at a time, this is welcome information! I look forward to experimenting with it!
    If you slowly move your right hand up and down the strings, you'll find a lot of different tone colours. And they are different from ukulele to ukulele, though it's always the case that the further up the neck, the warmer, the closer to the bridge, the brighter. But both of my ukuleles have a sort of "sweet spot". I'm about 1/20 as good as Kris at it, but I think once you get the concept, it's worth experimenting with. It can breathe new life into an instrument which you thought you knew.
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

Thread Information