A radical new concert uke for your perusal

This is cool...not for me but I am glad that you are thinking outside the box.

I like the fact that many non-uke manufacturers are moving into the uke world, especially the guitar makers. Since many people already have a traditional sounding koa ukuleles, I think there is a definitely a market for the crossover sound. Just like any other industry, it'll become too saturated but that's just how it is.

Thanks for your feedback, nongdam!

I find this uke very unusual and interesting, the lack of a headstock seems kind of strange to my eyes. I like sound though and I think it's a winner. Anyone playing this instrument is sure to get noticed and get the maker's name to lots of people. I'm new to the ukulele world so my ability doesn't justify the purchase of another instrument, let alone one as radical as this, but you never know what the future may bring. I am interested though to know what sort of price tag such an unusual instrument is likely to have and what the delivery time would be. All the best with your venture.

This is a really interesting and innovative design idea. To develop and change a traditional instrument into so etching for the 21st century and achieve a clear, bell like tone (to my ears anyway) is certainly a mark of a real luthier. New materials and designs pushing envelopes has moved musicians forward in what they are able to achieve and the range of sounds produced. I will have to work on the wife to perhaps order one for my 50th this year...I won't hold my breath though.
Regarding names: Finger Lakes concert or N.Y. Country Ukulele
Anyway,regards and best of luck.
Ben

Todd, I read your website. What years were you at Interlochen Arts Academy? I went to North Western Michigan College in Traverse City for a few years studying aviation. I was there from around 76 to late 79. Use to work nights bar tending at Barnaby's in Interlochen for extra cash and got to know the faculty and staff workers for Corson Auditorium. I always ended up with front and center seats to most any show I wanted to see. Dizzy Gillespie was one of the more memorable.

Your guitars are quite beautiful and that uke is extremely cool and sounds pretty sweet.

Keep up the good work!

Bruce

I find this uke very unusual and interesting, the lack of a headstock seems kind of strange to my eyes. I like sound though and I think it's a winner. Anyone playing this instrument is sure to get noticed and get the maker's name to lots of people. I'm new to the ukulele world so my ability doesn't justify the purchase of another instrument, let alone one as radical as this, but you never know what the future may bring. I am interested though to know what sort of price tag such an unusual instrument is likely to have and what the delivery time would be. All the best with your venture.

Thank you! I appreciated your comments and interest. Please see this page of my web site -- http://www.toddroseguitars.com/Stringed_Instruments.html -- for pricing information. I would estimate the wait time to be 6-8 months. Thanks again.

This is a really interesting and innovative design idea. To develop and change a traditional instrument into so etching for the 21st century and achieve a clear, bell like tone (to my ears anyway) is certainly a mark of a real luthier. New materials and designs pushing envelopes has moved musicians forward in what they are able to achieve and the range of sounds produced. I will have to work on the wife to perhaps order one for my 50th this year...I won't hold my breath though.
Regarding names: Finger Lakes concert or N.Y. Country Ukulele
Anyway,regards and best of luck.
Ben

Thanks, Ben! Much appreciated. I'm turning 50 this year, too. You can always email me from here -- http://www.toddroseguitars.com/Contact_me.html -- if you want to be in touch. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Todd, I read your website. What years were you at Interlochen Arts Academy? I went to North Western Michigan College in Traverse City for a few years studying aviation. I was there from around 76 to late 79. Use to work nights bar tending at Barnaby's in Interlochen for extra cash and got to know the faculty and staff workers for Corson Auditorium. I always ended up with front and center seats to most any show I wanted to see. Dizzy Gillespie was one of the more memorable.

Your guitars are quite beautiful and that uke is extremely cool and sounds pretty sweet.

Keep up the good work!

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce! I was at IAA for two years: '79-'80 and '80-'81. I wouldn't have been at the bar, but I'm sure you met some of the faculty and staff I knew, and we were probably in the the same audience for some of the music at Corson. I didn't see Dizzy, though. I honestly don't remember very many of the visiting artist performances. The most memorable for me, since I was a student there, were the performances by my classmates. The many orchestra, band, jazz band, choir, and dance concerts put on by the school were always phenomenal and inspiring, not to mention all the other events on campus, from poetry readings to art shows to plays. It was a great privilege to go to school there, and I consider myself very lucky to have had that opportunity. Are you a pilot? I wonder if you might know my IAA classmate Rob Bach, who went on to become a commercial pilot. Great guy. He loves to fly all kinds of funky old airplanes in his spare time, and he is also a great photographer.

Anyone playing this instrument is sure to get noticed and get the maker's name to lots of people.

If you have personal connections with any "high profile" uke players, your help in getting the word to them would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks again.

I'm a sucker for the traditional shape, but this one looks really cool. Like what you'd see in a movie. Craftmanship looks superb as well. As for a name, there's always inspiration to be had if you listen to The Damned's debut single from 1976.

:D Thanks, Sven.

That is a very cool and unusual design, and it does sound distinctive - in a good way.

I just read through the whole thread wondering what feedback the other builders would give...

I just made a recording of a new original song, "You Are the Stayers", and posted it on SoundCloud. It's just a rough demo made in my office with my Zoom H2 sitting on my desk (like all these other sound clips), but I think it came out okay, and gives you another taste of the new uke in a little bit of a different musical context. I hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/todd-rose/you-are-the-stayers

Nice song Todd. The "Fantail" is sounding really sweet. But am I the only one that is getting a lot of digital noise on that recording?

Thanks, Barbablanca! I don't hear the noise you're talking about. Do you hear it only on that one song, not on the other sound clips I have on SoundCloud?

Nice Execution

Todd,
Well done. Its nice to see people like you pushing the envelop with designs. You play well BTW. The tone sounds perfect for melancholy tunes. Though the design is certainly cheery. The black and white look was very well executed.

..... I don't hear the noise you're talking about. Do you hear it only on that one song, not on the other sound clips I have on SoundCloud?

Must have been a connection thing. Last night there was a lot of digital noise on that song, today it's crystal clear. I suspected that it must have been my system, hence the question. Glad no-one else was experiencing it and I'm not myself now. :cool:

Top Bottom