Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Music Supply

Default Hawaii Music Supply

Hello all! First and foremost, I'd like to "formally" introduce myself to the forum. I've been playing for about a year, and although I often come here to UU and really enjoy reading the forum, I've never posted before.

Now, to the meat of my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my uke, and was looking at a few of the Ponos on HMS that I've read so many good things about. In short, I'm looking for one with a nice sweet tone, not too loud or punchy - maybe the mahogany or acacia. I actually really like the sound of Mainland's mahogany uke, but I thought their cedar was way too loud for me.

My real issue is that I've sent HMS a few messages with questions about the Ponos, but I can't seem to get a response from them after about a week. I was wondering if anyone has been successful in contacting them before, and if so, how responsive they were.

Thanks!

Try mim's ukes. She's working on a new website right now, but she gets back to you almost immediately. Will PM you her phone number.
    You, sir, are the devil. --Tammy
    10:32789

Quote Originally Posted by T'Bone View Post
    Hello all! First and foremost, I'd like to "formally" introduce myself to the forum. I've been playing for about a year, and although I often come here to UU and really enjoy reading the forum, I've never posted before.

Now, to the meat of my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my uke, and was looking at a few of the Ponos on HMS that I've read so many good things about. In short, I'm looking for one with a nice sweet tone, not too loud or punchy - maybe the mahogany or acacia. I actually really like the sound of Mainland's mahogany uke, but I thought their cedar was way too loud for me.

My real issue is that I've sent HMS a few messages with questions about the Ponos, but I can't seem to get a response from them after about a week. I was wondering if anyone has been successful in contacting them before, and if so, how responsive they were.

Thanks!
    I've never gotten a reply from them - ever.

You might try emailing Andrew, the owner, at andrew@theukulelesite.com directly. Or email Mike, askmusicguymic@theukulelesite.com. Both are good people and on this site frequently. Sometimes emails to a general email box can go down a rabbit hole. I'm not sure that Mim handles Pono at the moment.
    Pat

Kanilea K1C Concert, Pono MT, Makai TK-55 Tenor
    Martin 1968 OO-16C (original owner)

Quote Originally Posted by patfia View Post
    You might try emailing Andrew, the owner, at andrew@theukulelesite.com directly. Or email Mike, askmusicguymic@theukulelesite.com. Both are good people and on this site frequently. Sometimes emails to a general email box can go down a rabbit hole. I'm not sure that Mim handles Pono at the moment.
    She now handles the full line of Ponos. Started after NAMM last week.
    You, sir, are the devil. --Tammy
    10:32789

Quote Originally Posted by T'Bone View Post
    YMMV, there's a lot of good things to read about HMS on this forum, and Andrew the owner is a regular poster here. Also does nice contests and giveaways.
    I ordered once from them in the past, and it was a pain. The ukulele was superb when it finally finally finally arrived but the communication...., well, it was one-sided, I communicated and they didn't. From what I read it might be better to call them than to send them a message, unfortunately that wasn't an option from my country, money-wise. Anyway, that's just my story, a lot of good experiences can't be read about them and their service.
    Makala Dolphin Black, Aquila reentrant gCEA
    wanted: Ovation Applause UAE20

HMS staff have been at NAMM in Calif for the past week. I talk with Andrew quite a lot via email, and rarely fail to get a reply within a few minutes. I don't think the guy sleeps.

Agree, HMS was at NAMM.

Call them, Tbone. Ask for Andrew, the owner, if the person answering the phone isn't able to help you ( they full well may be able to).

Ive bought six--or is it seven--or so ukes from HMS, and no, Andrew and Mike are not my cousins. I've never been to the shop. I just have worms in my head, is all.

You'll find that their service, merchandise, after purchase care, and loyalty program are second to none.

What's their loyalty program? Every time you buy from them, the same result: kindness, caring and great product.

Another reason that your on the right track, T, is that Andrew's dad owns Pono. Yep. Andrew grew up setting up Pono ukes right there on Oahu. So, finding a special Pono through HMS is going to be something you'll savor.

They were at NAMM, Tbone. Call them now. Aloha, brother T bone.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 02-05-2013 at 02:08 AM.
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

Does anyone know what HMS charges for shipping on say a $100 soprano?
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle23 View Post
    Does anyone know what HMS charges for shipping on say a $100 soprano?
    You can get a shipping estimate when you place an item in the cart. Estimate around $20.
    Bill

Pono Concert - Mahogany Deluxe - K&K Twin Spot Pickup
    Makala Dolphin Soprano - Orange
    Apogee Jam, HoneyTone Amplifier
    Uke Leash

Thread Information