Hawaii Music Supply

T'Bone

Reaction score
Hello all! First and foremost, I'd like to "formally" introduce myself to the forum. I've been playing for about a year, and although I often come here to UU and really enjoy reading the forum, I've never posted before.

Now, to the meat of my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my uke, and was looking at a few of the Ponos on HMS that I've read so many good things about. In short, I'm looking for one with a nice sweet tone, not too loud or punchy - maybe the mahogany or acacia. I actually really like the sound of Mainland's mahogany uke, but I thought their cedar was way too loud for me.

My real issue is that I've sent HMS a few messages with questions about the Ponos, but I can't seem to get a response from them after about a week. I was wondering if anyone has been successful in contacting them before, and if so, how responsive they were.

Thanks!

Try mim's ukes. She's working on a new website right now, but she gets back to you almost immediately. Will PM you her phone number.

Hello all! First and foremost, I'd like to "formally" introduce myself to the forum. I've been playing for about a year, and although I often come here to UU and really enjoy reading the forum, I've never posted before.

Now, to the meat of my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my uke, and was looking at a few of the Ponos on HMS that I've read so many good things about. In short, I'm looking for one with a nice sweet tone, not too loud or punchy - maybe the mahogany or acacia. I actually really like the sound of Mainland's mahogany uke, but I thought their cedar was way too loud for me.

My real issue is that I've sent HMS a few messages with questions about the Ponos, but I can't seem to get a response from them after about a week. I was wondering if anyone has been successful in contacting them before, and if so, how responsive they were.

Thanks!
I've never gotten a reply from them - ever.

You might try emailing Andrew, the owner, at andrew@theukulelesite.com directly. Or email Mike, askmusicguymic@theukulelesite.com. Both are good people and on this site frequently. Sometimes emails to a general email box can go down a rabbit hole. I'm not sure that Mim handles Pono at the moment.

YMMV, there's a lot of good things to read about HMS on this forum, and Andrew the owner is a regular poster here. Also does nice contests and giveaways.
I ordered once from them in the past, and it was a pain. The ukulele was superb when it finally finally finally arrived but the communication...., well, it was one-sided, I communicated and they didn't. From what I read it might be better to call them than to send them a message, unfortunately that wasn't an option from my country, money-wise. Anyway, that's just my story, a lot of good experiences can't be read about them and their service.

HMS staff have been at NAMM in Calif for the past week. I talk with Andrew quite a lot via email, and rarely fail to get a reply within a few minutes. I don't think the guy sleeps.

Agree, HMS was at NAMM.

Call them, Tbone. Ask for Andrew, the owner, if the person answering the phone isn't able to help you ( they full well may be able to).

Ive bought six--or is it seven--or so ukes from HMS, and no, Andrew and Mike are not my cousins. I've never been to the shop. I just have worms in my head, is all.

You'll find that their service, merchandise, after purchase care, and loyalty program are second to none.

What's their loyalty program? Every time you buy from them, the same result: kindness, caring and great product.

Another reason that your on the right track, T, is that Andrew's dad owns Pono. Yep. Andrew grew up setting up Pono ukes right there on Oahu. So, finding a special Pono through HMS is going to be something you'll savor.

They were at NAMM, Tbone. Call them now. Aloha, brother T bone.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what HMS charges for shipping on say a $100 soprano?

Does anyone know what HMS charges for shipping on say a $100 soprano?

You can get a shipping estimate when you place an item in the cart. Estimate around $20.

Yes I agree call them, and you will see how friendly and helpful they are on the phone. They have great service and you immediately feel like you are talking to a friend.

I meant to post about this before and give HMS a heads-up...
...The email address on their Web Page either doesn't get checked or does not work.
I've emailed them through there several times over the last year and never got a response. OTOH when I've contacted Andrew directly, I always hear back.

Last edited:
I've never had anything but nop-notch, super communication and dealings with HMS. Yes, it takes longer to get from Hawaii to Missouri via ground shipping, but that's not an issue for me.

Thank you all! I will give HMS a call, and contact Mim as well (the Ponos aren't up on her site yet). I'm sure that everyone has their own preference, but are there any particularly compelling reasons to go with one vs. the other? I have heard many good things about both!

I apologize for that. I check our emails many times through a day. Sometimes I get into a project or am working at setups and am not on it for half a day or so but it should never be over a day before getting answered. Likewise Mike checks his daily, as well as Zach and Joel and we all have phone numbers on the website. Even now, I went to our emails and searched Pono because I don't know your email, I only found one unanswered in the last few weeks from the 2/1 asking for a sound sample of a concert with low g. Was that you?
It's depressing to see stuff like this, but I am glad I did. Obviously we have something work on.
PM me here also if you want. Mim is a nice lady though, we got to hang out at namm. We will help you though and would be glad to. Our setup workshop is on the second floor of Koolau/Pono so we have access to full stock.

I've only purchased one thing from HMS - I called, Andrew answered the phone, gave me a great price and very fair shipping charge, and I received the case two days later.

I can say nothing that isn't positive about him, HMS, or MGM, who I purchased my Kala uke from. And since the two of them work together now, I would have no qualms about purchasing anything from HMS.

Of course, based on friends' experiences, I'd have no qualms about purchasing anything from Mim or Mike at Uke Republic, either.

-Kurt​

I can't speak highly enough about HMS and Andrew. We hit a couple snags with an order we placed over Christmas - worst time for vendors of many products due to volume, special requests, shipping delays due to weather. And speaking as a person who does fine crafts mostly sold via Internet and shipped a distance - there are times even the most responsive of us don't respond quickly.

Everything got sorted out wonderfully and we couldn't be happier with the ukes we got from HMS.

I confess I'm looking at what Mim has, but only because HMS doesn't carry some she does. They both are highly regarded for their attention to set up and I think it really comes down to which instrument you want and whether it's actually available from one or the other. :)

I don't think anyone is criticizing HMS about it, but it does look like they have a problem with the email from the home page.
...They've probably missed-out on several orders because of it. I gave up on my 1st purchase, but did eventually buy my Pono 8 string the second time when I did get through directly with Andrew.

Top Bottom