Pass it On!

DaleR

Reaction score
Hello UUers!

I will pass on my first, and most beloved uke, to the owner of my local tiki room tomorrow. I sort of hang out, play a bit and turn others on to this most wonderful axe. Have you passed on ukes to others and spread the love? I think this is really the way to go.

Good for you! Gave my "smiley face" uke to a 4 year old autistic child. I painted hair and teeth on it. It really stimulated his interest so I let it go. Tough to get rid of a uke bur very easy when it goes somewhere special.

I passed on my first uke to a friend...he needed it more than I did...and he loves it!

I really think this is the right thing to do...

I've passed on quite a few ukes. One of them, I gave a dolphin I wasn't too happy with (sound-wise) to my niece, and I hear she plays it daily. When she comes it to "Nanna's House," she brings it so we can jam. She's gotten quite good at it too.

Dan

I have passed on a few myself. My very first uke was a tenor that I learned on (cut my teeth on, I'm still learning :rolleyes:). I gave it to a co-worker who told me she was interested in learning to play. I still see it when I am in her office (even strum it from time to time). I gave another co-worker my LU21 for Christmas a few years ago who was wanting to learn. He has developed into a pretty good player and aquired several ukes since. He gave the LU21 to another co-worker last year who also wanted to learn. This co-worker decided it wasn't in the cards and quit playing. I just got the 21 back today...like an old friend coming home.

My first was a gift from my bride, so is always here. My second and two others are "on loan". If my friends don't use them then I get then back.

None made their way back home yet!

and friends kept saying...are you going to learn to play that? and I had to keep saying...........he is, right now...of course he is!

I am sorry but I could never part with my uke, even more so because it has so many signatures! But in Guitar Center I saw a kid, maybe 8 or 9 looking at a ukulele. I told him and his Mom how great it is to play uke and about Uke Underground. I think that is spreading the love because that kid got a uke :}

Way to go Andre! Spread the word any way you can, it doesn't always have to be giving a uke away. That being said, it is my main argument for buying more ukuleles.

I gave my first uke, Mitchell MU70, to my children's elementary's school last year. It's fun to see them strum away on it.

I don't know that I could give my first uke away, as it was a gift from my sister and was a significant turning point in my life. I haven't passed on any other ukes yet as the opportunity hasn't come up, but I do plan to in the future. I did recently teach a friend from out of town the basics of playing the uke and after we jammed together on some simple songs for a time he lamented when he went back home he wouldn't have a uke. I offered to send one of mine home with him, but he said that wasn't necessary because he was buying one of his own! So yes, I guess I spread a bit of uke love there! :D

I've passed on a few (besides the Lanikai LU-11s that I set up and gave to all my grandkids a couple of Christmases ago). I'll admit that I'm pretty selfish, though - the ones I passed on were ones that I just never warmed up to for one reason or another - i.e. I still own way more ukes than one person ever needs...

John

My first one went to a charity shop. It was a cheapo and not very good but I had replaced the strings with Aquilas which had made a whole lot of difference. The charity shop were very pleased to have it and I hope someone has got some pleasure out of it.

For all its faults, it got me started.

I've already passed on a truckload of ukes gathering dust in my place, somewhat musical orphans from my UAS mad checkered past, and many people and coworkers have enjoyed the free gift ukes. I've finally gotten down to under 10 ukes. My very first green Mahalo uke was given away for the charity campaign at work for the odds and ends sale. I felt no remorse. No sense of loss. I've grown up now and I don't need to keep the trousers I wore at age 7 for memories sake, when I'm 47! LOL hehe

Petey

Top Bottom