Song Help Request Songs for main Hawaiian islands

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks for a Hawaiian cruise with Uncle Mike (Michael Lynch). To get in the "mood" I'd like to find a song for each of the main islands to learn now and be able to play in our off time on the ship (softly in our room). I'm thinking either Beautiful Kaua'i or Hele on to Kaua'i for that island, Lahaina Luna for Maui. Any ideas for Hilo on the Big Island and Ohau? Even though we're not going there, maybe Molakai Slide too?

Something in Hawaiian would be nice but if it's too fast we'll sound more like the language in "Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian" and offend everyone even ourselves.

Thanks for any help.

It is not in Hawaiian but for Oahu, I always liked "Honolulu City Lights." Have fun!

We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks for a Hawaiian cruise with Uncle Mike (Michael Lynch). To get in the "mood" I'd like to find a song for each of the main islands to learn now and be able to play in our off time on the ship (softly in our room). I'm thinking either Beautiful Kaua'i or Hele on to Kaua'i for that island, Lahaina Luna for Maui. Any ideas for Hilo on the Big Island and Ohau? Even though we're not going there, maybe Molakai Slide too?

Something in Hawaiian would be nice but if it's too fast we'll sound more like the language in "Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian" and offend everyone even ourselves.

Thanks for any help.

Check the Hawaiian Hula Archives site . . . look and scroll down the right side of the page. You will see the names of the islands and by clicking on a name, you will get mele for that particular island.

Aloha,
Good idea....the previous post linked to many possible songs.
Our 808 ukejams group here on Maui play many songs with a reference to Maui, e.g.,
Going to Hana Maui, Kipahulu (just past Hana), Maui Hawaiian Sup'pa Man (most folks will recognize this from IZ), Ulupalakua (ranch with paniolos on slopes of Haleakala)

Good luck and enjoy Hawaii
Terry
Winters in Kihei, Maui...rest of the time on the East coast of Canada waiting for winters in Maui ;0)

I have several collections of traditional Hawaiian songs in the PDF collection - if you have something specific in mind, PM or email me and I can send it to you. Or check out the entire collection to get them all. Click the vintage uke link below...

That Hawaiian cruise with Ukulele Mike sounds like a nice trip. Please post up a report when you get home. Hope you have a great time!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I don't think I had any idea how many songs fit a specific island. Yes, you'll see a report when we get back.

Top Bottom